HOW TO START A NEW ORGANIZATION
Can’t find an organization or club that meets your interest? Start a new one!
Becoming a registered student organization comes with many rights and privileges, including but not limited to:
- Reserving space on campus
- Receiving allocations
- Printing fliers
- Renting vehicles for club travel
New Organization Registration Periods take place on October 1 – 15 and February 1 – 15.
Steps to start up your new organization
- Attend a “New Student Organization Orientation” session*
- Read the Registration Guidelines
- Secure a minimum of 10 currently enrolled Pitt students as members
- You need at least a president, a vice president, and a business manager. One person may not hold more than one officer position for an organization
- Secure a full-time faculty or staff member at the University to serve as your advisor. You will need to attach a signed Advisor Acceptance Electronic Signature Form (uses the DocuSign system–no need to print it out!)
- Draft your organization’s constitution and update as necessary following the Constitution Requirements. You can also use the constitution template for student organizations if you would like!
Tip: prior to the registration submission period, familiarize yourself with the requirements and start preparing the necessary documents!
*Students interested in registering a new organization during a New Organization Registration period MUST attend one of the workshops to qualify for registration status. Click here for more information on when and where these sessions will be.
How to Submit Your Registration
Note: the person who registers the student organization will be designated as the Primary Contact* of the group.
- Sign In to Engage with your Pitt username and password.
- Click on the Organizations tab at the top of the page
- On the left hand side of the page, click on the box that says Register An Organization. This will only be active during the designated New Organization Registration periods.
- Follow the steps and provide a completed roster, constitution, and Advisor Acceptance Electronic Signature Form (this form uses the DocuSign system–no need to print it out!)
- Submit your application.
After Registration Submission
- Your registration application and constitution will go under review by the SORC office. This process takes time, as we review every application and documentation thoroughly.
- If there are any problems with your application or constitution, we will contact you through the Engage messaging tool. We will not be able to continue processing your application until all edits are completed.
- Once approved, the listed officers and advisor will receive a final confirmation email, and your organization will have full access to the benefits of being a registered organization!
*Primary Contact Definition
The Primary Contact of your organization will be the only individual with access to re-register your organization, register to participate in the undergraduate Activities Fair, and will have his/her name and contact info listed as the main contact for your organization in the Student Organization Directory.