Parents and Families

Frequently Asked Questions

Campus Safety

What Is The Pitt Police Contact Information? 

On-Campus Emergency: ext. 4-2121 
Off-Campus Emergency: 412-624-2121 
Non-Emergency: 412-624-4040 

What Are The Different Ways I/My Student Can Receive Alerts? 

Understanding the difference between Pitt Crime Alerts vs. Emergency Notification System (ENS): 
- A Crime Alert is an activity on and around campus, such as a burglary, suspicious activity, mostly anything that a Pitt Police officer is called for. An ENS is when the entire University is in an emergency, such as being closed for weather/snow, all-campus threats, etc. These are two separate things, but parents/family members can receive both notifications. 
- Students can sign up to three mobile numbers to receive Pitt Crime Alerts and ENS'. All alerts are posted on the Pitt Police website and their social media, however to receive alerts it must be done in the student's MyPitt portal. 

Here is how students sign up for the ENS service: 

1. Log into (You can also log into and click Emergency Notification System). Note: You will be prompted to accept the Terms of Use the first time you log in. Read the terms of use, click the box next to I have read and agree to the Rave Terms of Use, and click Submit. 
2. Click Add next to Mobile Phones and enter your phone number. 
3. If you want to receive both text and voice alerts, leave the box checked next to Enable Voice Message Delivery. If you only want to receive text alerts, uncheck this box. Click Continue. 
4. Select your carrier from the drop-down menu. Click Continue. 
5. The system will send a confirmation code to your mobile phone. Enter the code in the Confirmation Code field and click Continue. 
6. A confirmation window displays indicating your phone number has been subscribed. A confirmation text message is also sent. 

From there, a student can then opt into any notification, which includes Crime Alerts. Please note that the mobile number(s) that have been added to the above system will receive all notifications your student has signed up for! To sign up for Crime Alerts: 

1. Click the Opt In tab near the top of the page. 
2. Subscribe to Crime Alerts. 

Can I Access Past Pitt Crime Alerts? 

Yes, those can be found on the Police Department website

Are There Self-Defense Classes Offered At Pitt? 

Self Defense Awareness Familiarization Exchange (SAFE) is a crime-victim prevention and awareness program sponsored by the National Self-Defense Institute, Inc. This program teaches students a variety of self-defense tactics and options if confronted by an attacker. Residence Officer Program provides an opportunity for the Pitt Police and the students to work together in a non-confrontational setting.

Classes are held throughout the academic year. For more information on class schedule and how to register, please have your student contact Officer Heather Camp at

Are There Any Police Or Transportation Escort Services Available To Students? 

Yes, Pitt has a SafeRider program for students traveling in the evening or early morning hours, and are not on an established bus route. Students are limited to one round trip per night and 25 trips per semester. This should only be used in a non-emergency situation, and students can bring up to two non-University guests per transportation. More information on how to request a ride or the SafeRider boundaries.

How Can Crime Be Reported? 

Students can contact Pitt Police, or use the new Rave app on their phone. Students can call or text in tips, anonymously if need be, and also set timers of when they expect to be at a certain location for another Pitt student to track. The Rave App can be downloaded from the Pitt App Store, iTunes, or Google Play. 

Where Can I Find Crime Statistics For Pitt Campus? 

On the Department Of Public Safety's website

Can My Student Register Their Laptop Or Mobile Device? 

Students can register their laptop or cell phone with the Pitt Police using a unique identifier, such as the device’s serial number.  Registered devices are more efficiently returned to their original owner if recovered after a theft.  Look for the Pitt Police at events around campus or call 412-624-4040 to schedule an appointment to have a device registered. 

Can My Student Register Their Bike? 

Yes, through BikeIndex. This will help authorities track stolen bicycles and provide a secure place to store all of your bike's details. 

Does Pitt Provide Fingerprinting Services? 

The Police Department provides fingerprinting services for University of Pittsburgh faculty, staff and students. Fingerprinting is typically available at the police station on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2:00PM-3:00PM. The cost is $10. Please call 412-624-4040 prior to arrival to check availability. 

Is There A University Lost and Found? 

The Police Department is the central location for the University’s lost and found. All property turned in is inventoried and, if possible, the owner is contacted. Storage space is limited; therefore, unclaimed property is disposed of every six months. A notice is placed in the Pitt News prior to disposal. If you would like to inquire about a lost item, please call 412-624-4040. 

What Can A Student Do To Report An Incident Of Sexual Assault Or Receive Support? 

We strongly suggest any student who suffers from a sexual assault to contact Pitt Police (412.624.2121) or The City Of Pittsburgh Police (911) immediately. It is also strongly encouraged to seek medical attention and treatment. Recommended local services include MaGee-Women's Hospital or UPMC Mercy Hospital. 

In the unfortunate instance that a student does encounter sexual assault, Pitt has an Office of Sexual Harassment and Assault Response and Education (SHARE). Students may request completely confidential counseling by calling the counseling center at 412-648-7930 (8:30 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday) to request an appointment. After hours, (after 5 PM or on weekends) students may call the on-call service at 412-648-7856 to speak with a professional counselor. The SHARE Office is located in the Wellness Center on the second floor of Nordenberg Hall, 119 University Place.

Housing and Dining Services

Who Do I Contact For Maintenance Requests Or Other Housing Facilities, And Any Dining Concerns? 

Panther Central 
Litchfield Towers Lobby 
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 


Whom Do I Contact For Roommate Issues Or Other Resident Issues? 

Residence Life
935 William Pitt Union
3959 Fifth Ave.
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 

Phone : 412.648.1200

What Is the Difference Between A Resident Director (RD) And A Resident Assistant (RA)? 

A resident director is a professional staff member in each residence hall to assist students with educational, recreational, and disciplinary issues. 

Resident Assistants are upperclass students who live on most floors in the residence halls, and have recieved training to help with any issues or concerns students may have while living in the residence halls. The process to apply to become an RA begins in November when applications are due. 

Can My Student Change Their Room Assignment? 

If your student has not moved in yet, we will strive to make accomodations. However once they have moved in, any room changes will be done in emergency situations only. If there is a roommate conflict, please have your student notify us about the situation so that we can help them work towards a solution. 

What Are Living Learning Communities? 

Living Learning Communities (LLCs) are specialized living environments that connect students' inside- and outside-the-classroom experiences. Each LLC is unique, but all are centered on a distinctive theme or academic interest area. Students who choose to live in an LLC have a direct connection to their classroom experience, access to intentional events and programs, and dedicated staff members who work to make the community a success. 

Is There Gender Inclusive Housing Available? 

Yes, to upperclass students who wish to live together regardless of gender, sex, gender identity, or expression. Gender Inclusive Housing is available for upper-class students in Ruskin Hall. 

It is available to First Year students as well, though this process needs to begin at admission. 

More Information

Who Has Guaranteed Housing And Who Does Not? 

All First-Year Fall term students who have been admitted by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid have guaranteed housing on campus. Fourth-Year students (seniors) are not guaranteed on-campus housing. Other non-guaranteed students are transfer students, regional campus students, current students who live off campus, dental hygiene students, College of General Studies students, graduate students, and any students who did not meet the current or previous years' housing application and deposit deadlines. 

Are Graduate Students Eligible For On-Campus Housing? 

No. Please refer to Off-Campus Living

What Amenities Are Available In Each Residence Hall Room? 

The University provides every resident with the fundamental amenities of contemporary student life: furniture, cable TV, and online network access. Additional features include e-mail kiosks, study and recreation lounges, fitness centers, dining options*, coffee carts, free shuttle bus service, laundry facilities, mail centers, and Living Learning Communities

Each Residence Hall also has a security desk that is staffed 24/7 to ensure only those who live in that hall is entering, with the exception of guests signed in by the resident. 

Which Residence Halls Are Available to First-Year Students?

*Designated floors are home to First-Year students while others are home to upperclass students.

Does Pitt Have Apartment-Style Rooms? 

Yes, these are available to upperclass students only. Apartment-style housing includes a kitchen and private living areas, and can accommodate 1-4 students. 

Does Pitt Have University-Owned Apartments? 

Yes, but they are not considered a part of on-campus living. Therefore they do require a formal lease with monthly payments. All University-owned apartments are unfurnished and include efficiency to three-bedroom layouts.  Learn more here

Does Pitt Help Students Find Housing Off-Campus? 

Yes, we can assist through our Off-Campus Living Office. This department has a Renter's Guide, apartment and sublet listings, and roommate services. However, leases are between the student and landlord of the property.

More Information

What Dining Services Are Available On Campus? 

At Pitt, we have numerous options in terms of dining, from grab-and-go to all-you-can eat cafeterias. A map of all dining locations that accept some form of meal plans.

What Dining Plans Are Available to Students? 

Dining Services offers different, flexible meal plans to all student, ranging from All Access to just Dining Dollars, depending on where your student lives. More information on the different plans.

Is A Meal Plan Required? 

If your student is living on-campus, yes. 

Can My Student Change Meal Plans During The Semester? 

Yes, but you only have a grace period of about two weeks after the semester begins. After that, the meal plan will continue until the semester ends. 

What Is The Difference Between Meal Swipes, Dining Dollars, And Panther Funds? 

Meal Swipes can be used at Market Central and The Perch, where one swipe gets entry into an all-you-can eat setting. Market To Go also accepts Meal Swipes, whereas a meal combination equals one swipe. Meal Swipes do not carry over from Fall to Spring term. 

Dining Dollars can be used at any on-campus Pitt Dining locations, and these do carry over from Fall to Spring term. 

Panther Funds are loaded onto a student's Panther Card, and can be continued to be loaded throughout the semester. They are used as a debit card and can be used at all on-campus Pitt Dining locations, as well as participating off-campus businesses (including non-food). These stay on the student's card until they officially leave the University. 

Can I Order Care Packages For My Student? 

Yes, we have partnered with Our Campus Marketing to offer care packages and other gifts that can be purchased by you and mailed to your student, if they live on campus. You can order over the phone (877.942.7887) or online.

Student Academic Services

What Are The Different Schools/Colleges At Pitt? 

Though there are many different schools and colleges within the Pitt system, the ones that house undergraduate students are: 

How Does My Student Know When To Register For Classes? 

Each student is assigned an advisor within their School/College. Depending on the major, this could be a professional staff member or faculty member. Students are given an enrollment appointment for the upcoming semester, which can be found in the Self Service- Student Center portion of their At this time, a student can add and/or drop courses up until the final day of Add/Drop. Students should consult with their advisor on registering for classes to ensure they stay on track in terms of graduation. 

How Can My Student See Their Class Schedule? 

Students can view their class schedule any time by logging into, clicking on Student Center Login, navigating to Self Service > Student Center, and then clicking on My Class Schedule under Academics on the left side of the page. 

My Student Has A Hold On Their Account. What Does This Mean? 

Holds/Service indicators can be placed by a variety of University offices. If they have a restriction, they will be referred to the appropriate office to resolve the matter before they can enroll or transact any University business. Types of restrictions include academic, missing data, disciplinary, high school transcript, advising, immunization, and financial. 

What Is A Student System ID Number? 

All students are assigned a seven digit Student System ID Number when they are admitted to the University. Some instructors may require you to include this number on your exams. You can find your Student System ID Number by logging into Click on Student Center Login > Self Service > Student Center > Demographic Data link under the heading of Personal Information near the bottom of the screen. 

Can I As A Parent Or Family Member Access My Students Grades? 

No, because of the Federal Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), we are prohibited to share any academic records with anyone except to the student. A student may waive this right to a parent or family member, however this will only give you access to their full transcript. You would only be able to come to campus, visit the Registrar Office with photo ID, and request a copy of the student's transcript. View the waiver.

Where Can I Find An Academic Calendar? 

The Registrar's Office handles all academic records for the University, including the University Academic Calendar

My Student Is Struggling With Certain Classes. What Tutoring Services Are Available? 

Many Schools and Colleges have specific tutoring services for their students, so it is best to have your student check with their advisor on what services are available. Below is a list of some services available: 

Undergraduate Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences Students: Study Lab

All Undergraduate Students: Math Assistance Center 

All Students: The Writing Center 

Are There Mentoring Organizations Available? 

Mentoring organizations are different than tutoring in that they match students up with other students to help with academic and personal goal setting. 

RISE, the University's mentoring organization, was created because we want students to do more than just “attend” Pitt. We want them to connect to the University of Pittsburgh and their fellow students and build the skills necessary to finish their degree and become a successful professional. 

My Student Has A Documented Disability And Needs Resources. Where Can They Go? 

Disability Resources and Services (DRS) is the designated department by the University to determine reasonable accommodations and services. At the University of Pittsburgh, we are committed to providing equal opportunities in higher education to academically qualified students with disabilities. 

Does Pitt Have An Honors College, And What Are The Benefits Of Being In It? 

Yes, though it is very competitive to be admitted into the Pitt Honors College. The benefits of being in it are priority for our unique courses, fellowships and awards, personal mentoring to help you find the best opportunities, a fun community with regular events and chances to explore the city, flexible ways to earn formal recognition for your Honors achievements, and guaranteed placement in the Honors housing community. 

My Student Is Unsure That They Are In The Right Major. Whom Should They Speak to? 

First and foremost, if your student is ever struggling academically they should meet with their advisor. This also applies to struggles with their major as a whole. Our academic advisors are trained to understand what obstacles students face, and can recommend strategies and services to help them through their frustrations. Sometimes another major is within the School/College that they are already in. Students can also go to the Career Center to take a Strong Interest Inventory which will explain the student's strengths and areas of interest, and show Pitt majors that are congogruent with those areas. 

What Majors And Minors Are Offered At Pitt? 

We have numerous majors and minors offered at Pitt, along with certificate programs consisting of 18-24 credits. View a full list on the Degree Finder website.

What If My Student Is Interested In Something Like Teacher Education, Health And Rehabilitation Sciences, Pharmacy, Or Social Work? 

Students interested in the areas begin their University studies in the Kenneth P. Dietrich School of Arts and Sciences taking prerequisite courses. Transfer is typically at the junior year level. Exception: traditional age freshmen apply at the sophomore level for College of General Studies (CGS) majors. Non-traditional freshmen (out of high school for two or more years) and transfers may apply for direct admission to CGS.

Campus Life

What Type Of Activities Are On Campus, And Where Can My Student Find Out About Them? 

The Pitt Program Council is the leading organization on campus that holds events for students. Their events range from entertainment, social, and educational activities.

What Clubs And Organizations Are On Campus For My Student To Join? 

There are over 500 clubs and organizations on campus.  Students can use the Student Organization Directory to identify organizations of interest to them. Students are able to search based on a number of categories. Students are able to see descriptions of the organization and contact information by clicking on the club or organization. Students can also attend the Activities Fair every fall semester to provide themselves another opportunity to find groups that interest them. 

None Of These Organizations Are Interesting To My Student, Can They Start One? 

If your student does not see an organization that sparks their interest, they can start one. New Organization Registration runs October 1-15 and February 1-15. To start an organization, students have to take the following steps:

Draft a constitution and update as necessary following the Constitution Requirements 

Secure a full-time faculty or staff member at the University to serve as your advisor. 

Have, at the minimum, a president, a vice president, and a business manager. One person may not hold more than one officer position for an organization 

Secure a minimum of 10 currently enrolled Pitt students as members 

Read the Registration Guidelines 

Attend a “Start Up Your New Student Organization” session 

Are There Special Interest Organizations On Campus? 

The Office of Leadership Development hosts seven special interest organizations: 

  • Black Action Society 
  • Asian Student Alliance 
  • Campus Women's Organization 
  • Hillel 
  • Rainbow Alliance 
  • Pitt Dance Marathon 
  • Omicron Delta Kappa

All other student organizations can be found on SORC

How Can My Student Find Service/Volunteer Opportunities? 

Aside from multiple student organizations that are dedicated to community service, the Office of PittServes provides meaningful opportunities for service and reflection. The PittServes Portal is an online resource that provides volunteer opportunities for students to the community.  The office also provides sustainability and educational volunteer opportunities and resources for students. 

What Is Greek Life Like On Campus? 

Greek Life at Pitt is run out of the Office of Cross Cultural and Leadership Development.  We are proud to be a home to the Interfraternity Council (NIC), Collegiate Panhellenic Association (NPC), and National Pan-Hellenic Council (NPHC). As a Tri-Council, we have just over 2,000 members who achieve in the classroom, in the community, and among their peers. Each organization has its individual attributes, but as a tri-council we are committed to academics, service, and philanthropy.  Furthermore, the mission of the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life is to enhance the intellectual, personal and social development of students in Greek-letter organizations in harmony with the mission of the University. 

What Campus Recreation/Fitness Services Are Offered For My Student? 

Campus Recreation offers a wide variety of services on campus that students can participate in.  There are multiple aquatic centers, sports and recreation facilities, and fitness centers across campus. Find facility locations and hours on the Student Affairs site. Students can also participate in club sports, intramural sports, and fitness classes.  Personal trainers and wellness consultations are also available for students. 

Can My Student Purchase Discounted Tickets For Plays, Musicals, And Other Pittsburgh Events? 

Pitt Arts offers the Cheap Seats program to students with a Valid Pitt ID. Each person can purchase up to four tickets for all shows (with a few noted exceptions), and you can take non-Pitt people! Cheap Seats are available for many events in the Pittsburgh Cultural District.  See what events are currently available for students to purchase.  PITT ARTS also sponsors Free Museum Visits and Artful Wednesdays. 

How Can My Student Purchase Tickets For Athletic Events? 

Football and basketball tickets can be purchased individually or through season ticket packages and all tickets can be purchased online.  For more information, visit the University's official Athletic Site

What Are First-Year Mentors? 

The First Year Mentors (FYMs) are upper-class student leaders who are here to support new students and their transition to Pitt. 19 FYMs work throughout the summer to plan fun and exciting activities to help students get connected during the beginning of the Fall semester. During Fall and Spring semesters, the FYMs plan and promote campus events. 

What Resources Are Provided For My Student If They Have Transferred? 

The Office of First Year Experience offers a wide variety of resources for transfer students to ensure that their transition is as easy as possible. Students can find information about transferring credits, housing, upcoming events, and more. 

What Resources Are Provided For My Student If They Are Commuting? 

There are a number of Commuter Student Programs that are provided to ensure that commuter students make the most out of their experience at Pitt.  There are lockers available to be rented, commuter lounges, and commuter mentor programs.  Please visit the commuter page to look further into any of these resources and programs. 

What Leadership Opportunities Are Available For My Student? 

The Office of Leadership Development offers a variety of leadership programs ranging from personal to organizational to civic. From Emerging Leaders to the Hesselbein Global Academy, they are committed to meeting your student's leadership development needs, along with those of our student organizations.  They also offer personalized leadership workshops and trainings for groups. 

What Types Of Transportation Are Available To Students? 

There are two popular forms of transportation available for free to Pitt students with a Panther ID Card: Pitt Shuttles and the Pittsburgh Port Authority. The Pitt Shuttles are operated by the Department of Transportation and routes are on campus and surrounding areas. They operate as early as 5:00 am and as late as 3:00 am.

All routes and times

The Pittsburgh Regional Transit is the City of Pittsburgh's transportation service, which includes bus, incline, and light rail system.

PRT Routes

Is There A Bus Route To The Airport? 

Yes, the Pittsburgh Port Authority offers a route called the 28X Flyer, and just like all other bus services, this is free for Pitt students with a Panther ID Card. This service is available to anyone with an active bus pass, not just Pitt students, so it is best to consult the Port Authority's route finder to determine the amount of time it will take to get from campus to the airport and vice versa. 

Is There Cross-State Transportation Available At Holiday Time? 

We do offer limited bus transportation during certain breaks such as Thanksgiving and Winter Break, though all routes are currently East Coast only. Learn more about routes, dates, and prices.

Health, Wellness, and Counseling Services

Where Can My Student Go For Health Services And Counseling? 

Office of Student Health Service 
Nordenberg Hall - Wellness Center 
119 University Place 
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 
Phone: 412-383-1800 
Monday, Wednesday & Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 7 p.m. 
Tuesday & Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. 
Saturday: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. 
Summer Hours 
Monday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.

University Counseling Center 

Nordenberg Hall - Wellness Center 
119 University Place 
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 
Phone:     412-648-7930 
Monday - Friday:     8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m. 
Monday & Thursday:     5 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. 

What If My Student's Issue Is An Emergency Or The Health Center Is Closed And It Cannot Wait? 

Please have them call 911 if it is an emergency or is life-threatening. 

If the situation is a non-emergency and the Health Center is closed, please have your student consider these locations: 

UPMC Urgent Care at Shadyside 

5231 Centre Avenue 
Pittsburgh, PA 15232 
Open 9 a.m. – 9 p.m., 365 days per year 
Accepts Panther Funds and many insurances policies are accepted. 
PAT Bus connection from Oakland: 71A 77A 77B, 81B, 86A 
Red or Purple University Shuttle Bus Route 

MedExpress Urgent Care 

5201 Baum Blvd. 
Pittsburgh, PA 15224 
Open 9 a.m. – 9 p.m., 7 days/week 
Call for fee rates.

What Are The Immunizations Requirements At Pitt? 

All incoming students must show proof of immunization of: 

  • Measles  (Rubeola) 
  • Mumps 
  • German Measles  (Rubella) 
  • Chicken Pox  (Varicella)

Before attendance. Furthermore, Pennsylvania law requires students who live in University housing to certify immunization of the meningococcal disease, or to sign a waiver that you decline the vaccine.   If residing in University housing, your student will receive the certification/waiver form with their University notice of assignment. 

How Can My Student Submit Their Immunization Forms? 

Immunization information can be electronically entered by students using online forms available at the Online Student Health portal. After electronically submitting these, they MUST be faxed (412.383.1846) or mailed to the Office of Health Service no later than October 1. Failure to send these in will result in a hold on your student's account for Spring semester, and they will not be able to register for classes. 

How Can My Student Make An Appointment At The Health Center? 

• In Person 

Have your student go to Student Health Service at the Wellness Center located in Nordenberg Hall, 119 University Place (2nd Floor), and speak with a receptionist. They should have their PeopleSoft ID#, student ID card, and health insurance card available.

• By Telephone 

Have your student call 412.383.1800 and speak with a receptionist. They should have their PeopleSoft ID# and health insurance card available.

• By Online Portal 

We now offer a variety of easy access Online Portal Services to our Oakland Campus students thru the University Student Portal site.

**No-Show Policy** 

Please be aware that SHS has a “no-show” policy.   This means that if your student does not come to their appointment -OR- cancels the appointment less than 2 hours prior to the scheduled appointment, a $10 charge will be added to their tuition statement. This policy is in place to ensure that students are seen as quickly as possible. Students who arrive late, no show for appointments, or cancel at the last second, unfairly deprive other students of timely access to care. 

What Should My Student Bring With Them To Their Scheduled Appointment? 

All students should bring a filled copy of their Pre-Visit form with them to their first appointment. 

Are There Any Vaccines Available To Students At The Health Center? 

Immunization Vaccines available at Student Health include: 

  • Hepatitis A
  • Meningococcal Serogroup B 
  • Tetanus 
  • Typhoid 
  • Varicella 
  • Yellow Fever
  • MMR
  • Meningococcal Quadrivalent 
  • Hepatitis B 
  • Human Papilloma Virus 
  • Influenza 

Most vaccinations require a twenty minute wait afterwards following the administration of the vaccine (with the exception of the influenza vaccine), so please plan accordingly. 

What Different Medical Services Are Available To Students? 

Student Health Services offers the following services: 

  • Telemedicine for University students in Pennsylvania 
  • Onsite point-of-care testing 
  • Phlebotomy 
  • Laboratory testing provided by Quest Diagnostics 
  • Gender-Affirming Care, including initiation and continuation of gender-affirming hormone therapy 
  • Laboratory Services 
  • Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases 
  • PrEP 
  • Destination-specific counseling, recommended vaccines and medications 
  • Evaluation and management of uncomplicated anxiety and depression 
  • Pre-travel health assessments 
  • Evaluation and management of acute illnesses and injuries 
  • Diagnosis and management of chronic medical conditions 
  • Diagnosis and treatment of dermatologic complaints 
  • Preventive care, including age-appropriate screening 
  • History and physical examinations, including form completion 
Does Pitt Offer Psychiatric Services To Pitt Students? 

Yes, psychiatric services are now provided in the Student Health Service (SHS) by a board-certified psychiatrist. A referral from either a Student Health Service clinician or therapist from the University Counseling Center or from the community is required. 

Does My Student Need Health Insurance? 

All students pay a Wellness Fee as part of their tuition, and this helps cover the cost of promotion and health education at little or no cost for the campus. It also covers the student's co-pay at the Wellness Center. 

Additional health insurance can be used to pay for services and extensive medical treatment or care at other facilities. Insurance is available to all students through UPMC Health Plan. Please contact Pitt's Benefits Office, 412.624.8160, for more information. 

All international students must have current health insurance throughout their time at Pitt. 

As A Parent Or Family Member, Do I Have Access To My Student's Medical Records? 

The Office of Health Service maintain patient records as mandated by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Pennsylvania State Law. 

No member of the University’s staff, other than members of the staff directly involved in the care of the patient, is entitled to information from any patient record without the student’s written consent* or a court-ordered subpoena. 

No parent of an adult patient (aged 18 years and older) or of an emancipated minor (a person who is under the age of 18 and a graduate of high school, married or has been married, and/or pregnant or has been pregnant) is entitled to receive confidential information about a patient unless the patient gives written consent*.

Other than members of the staff directly involved in the care of the patient, no one may read or receive a copy of any part of the patient’s record with the following exceptions: 

With written consent of the patient (or his/her parent or guardian if he/she is a minor and not emancipated), a copy of part or all of a medical record may be sent to an outside physician, medical facility, or other institution. Verbal permission may be obtained with witness verification. 

With written consent* of the patient (or his/her parent or guardian if he/she is a minor and not emancipated), copies of pertinent records may be provided to attorneys, investigating agencies, or copying services.

Read more about patients' rights.

  • Cases in which legal statutes require reports to be made, for example, reporting of communicable diseases. 

If There Is Concern For A Student's Health, Safety, Or Welfare Is There A Service Available To Turn To? 

The Care and Resource Support (CARS) Team accepts referrals, problem solves, and responds to student behavior identified as reasonably causing concern for students’ health, welfare, and safety. 

What Can A Student Do To Report An Incident Of Sexual Assault Or Receive Support? 

We strongly suggest any student who suffers from a sexual assault to contact Pitt Police (412.624.2121) or The City Of Pittsburgh Police (911) immediately. It is also strongly encouraged to seek medical attention and treatment. Recommended local services include MaGee-Women's Hospital or UPMC Mercy Hospital. 

In the unfortunate instance that a student does encounter sexual assault, Pitt has an Office of Sexual Harassment and Assault Response and Education (SHARE). Students may request completely confidential counseling by calling the counseling center at 412-648-7930 (8:30 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday) to request an appointment.   After hours, (after 5 PM or on weekends) students may call the on-call service at 412-648-7856 to speak with a professional counselor.   The SHARE Office is located in the Wellness Center on the second floor of Nordenberg Hall, 119 University Place. 

What Different Counseling Services Are Offered On Campus? 

The Counseling Center offers Individual, Group, and Couples Therapy. 

How Can My Student Schedule A Counseling Appointment? 

Screening appointments are offered daily. 
Monday – Friday,  from 9 a.m. to 12 noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. 

To schedule a screening appointment, call (412-648-7930). The purpose of the Screening appointment is meet with a clinician to assess your student's current concerns/problems and determine the most appropriate treatment options for addressing their clinical needs. 
They will be offered the first available appointment or referral that matches their schedule. 

What Does My Student Do If It's A Crisis Situation Or Emergency? 

If there is an emergency situation where safety is endangered, there is an imminent risk of harm, and immediate help is required, call 911 or the Pitt Police at 412-624-2121. 

What Can Be Done If The Counseling Center Is Closed? 

Have your student call the counseling center main telephone number (412.648.7930).   They will listen to a recorded message which states “if you need to speak with someone immediately, press one.”   Press one and their call will be transferred to a crisis response service called ProtoCall, who is contracted with the University to provide after-hours crisis response. 

What Is The Wait Time For Counseling Services? 

Wait times can vary considerably, depending on type of service selected, time of year, demand for services, staffing level, and student preferences.   At the beginning of the semester, students generally get in rather quickly for follow-up appointments.   In September, average wait time for a follow-up appointment was four business days.   This generally increases in October and November.   Depending upon demand and student preferences for particular counselors or time slots, follow-up appointments can take up to several weeks.   It should be noted that groups are usually available immediately. 

100% of students seeking help have had initial contact with a clinician the same day this semester. 

Where Can Students Submit Referrals If They Are Concerned About Another Student's Health, Welfare, and Safety? 

The Care and Resource Support (CARS) Team accepts referrals, problem solves, and responds to student behavior identified as reasonably causing concern for students’ health, welfare, and safety. 

The CARS Team has established liaisons in many academic centers/departments across campus, and they are listed below. The CARS Care Manager in the Office of Student Affairs can be contacted at 412-624-5756 or

Are There Resources For My Student Who Is Struggling With Substances Or In Recovery From Substances? 

The University Counseling Center offers confidential, non-judgmental individual and group therapy as well as referrals to community resources.

The Collegiate Recovery Program is a community of students in recovery from substances who promote sober events as well as resources to promote recovery both on and off campus

Textbooks and Technology Services

Where Can Textbooks Be Purchased On Campus? 

The University Store On Fifth

4000 Fifth Avenue 
Pittsburgh, PA 15213 

What Textbook Options Are Available In Store? 

The University Store on Fifth has all textbooks and course materials needed for every class at Pitt. Our textbook options include new, used, eBooks, course packets, and in-store rentals.

Can Students Compare Store Prices Versus Other Locations/Sites? 

Yes, Students can go to to compare University Store prices with those of other major retailers. 

Does The University Store Have a Book Buy Back Service? 

Yes, daily and with extended hours during Finals Week. Students are encouraged to sell their books back during Finals Week when the value of the book is the highest! 

When Can My Student Buy Books For The Upcoming Semester? 

Books can be purchased as early as the semester before the class and in the summer for Fall Term courses. Availability depends on the professor submitting for the required textbooks, so if your student does not see a textbook listed for their course in the early stages of book buying, it could be because the professor has not yet ordered the textbook(s). However, professor requests are typically done very early. 

How Can My Student Buy/Receive Their Textbooks? 

Students can purchase in-store or online, and can have their textbooks shipped to them or held until the first week of class when they arrive on campus. 

Does Pitt Sell Computers To Students? 

Yes, there is a section in the University Store devoted to Technology Sales, and they are a licensed retailer of Apple, Dell, and Lenovo computers. 

Does Technology Service and Support Offer Support On All Student Computers, Regardless Of Where They Were Purchased? 


Repair Center Hours of Operation 

Monday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
Tuesday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
Wednesday: 10:00am - 7:00pm
Thursday: 10:00am - 5:00pm
Friday: 10:00am - 4:00pm
Saturday: 11:00am - 4:00pm 

Contact the Repair Center
Phone: 412-648-1588

Can Students Trade In Their Older Devices? 

Yes, and they can receive a University Store Gift Card. Technology Services offers trade ins for computers, tablets, cellphones, and MP3 Players. 

Where Can My Student Go For Help With Their Technology (i.e. Computer, Laptop, Etc)? 

Our IT Help Desk is available 24/7 via email at or by chat at They also have locations in Litchfield Towers Lobby and at the University Store on Fifth, those these hours vary.

Student Employment and Career Development

Where Can My Student Go For Student Employment Information? 

Full details about Student Employment at Pitt can be found on our Human Resources page. For specific questions, contact Caity Miller, the Student Employment Administrator. 

Where Can My Student Find Open Positions On Campus? 

Some positions require a résumé and cover letter. Contact the Career Center for assistance with requirements before applying. 

After submitting an application, the hiring department will contact students who are selected for an interview. Official job offers are made after students have been selected for hire. 

All student employment opportunities are found in the "Students"portal on Talent Center. Job opportunities vary daily. Each position includes a job description and information on job schedules and how to apply. Some positions require a résumé and cover letter. Contact the the Career Center for assistance with requirements before applying. 

After you submit your application, the hiring department will have immediate online access to your application and will contact you if you are selected for an interview. An official job offer will be made once you have been selected for hire. 

What Is Federal Work Study And How Can My Student Find Out If They Are Eligible For It? 

The Federal Work Study (FWS) Program is a federally funded financial aid program administered by the University of Pittsburgh and is designed to assist students in meeting the cost of higher education by promoting access to meaningful work experiences. Federal Work Study is awarded to students based on demonstrated financial aid and is limited by availability of funds from the Department of Education. Students may work on campus or at local and eligible non-profit organizations located in Pittsburgh. Visit the Office of Financial Aid website for more information on eligibility, required hours, pay rates, and guidelines. 

Do Students Need To Be Eligible For Work Study To Work On Campus? 

No, while many departments hire work study students, many offices and departments on campus offer positions for those who are not work study-eligible. Students can find work study and non-work study positions on Talent Center.

Can International Students Work On Campus? 

Yes. Visa status and treaty agreements stipulate employment eligibility for international students. Most students with F-1 or J-1 visa status are eligible to work on campus up to 20 hours per week while classes are in session. 

How Many Hours A Week Can Students Work On Campus? 

During the academic year (fall and spring terms), students are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week. During breaks and the summer term, students may work a maximum of 37.5 hours per week. Students who are absent due to illness, holidays, or other reasons are not paid or given credit for their time missed. Students are not paid for time taken for meals. 

What Is The Hourly Rate For Students And What Is The Frequency Of Their Payments? 

The hiring department decides the pay rate for each employee, though they cannot pay below the federal minimum wage which is $7.25/hr. Students are paid on a biweekly schedule and paychecks are only deposited directly into a checking or savings account. 

Where Can Students Go To For Help With Resumes, Cover Letters, Interviewing Tips, and Internship Information? 

Career Center 

200 William Pitt Union 

3959 Fifth Ave. 

Pittsburgh, PA 15260 

Phone: 412-383-4473 

Monday – Friday: 8:30 a.m.- 5 p.m. 

Drop-In Hours: 

Monday – Friday: 10 a.m.-4 p.m.

Who Specifically Helps Students With Career-Related Advice? 

Career Consultants are professional staff members within the Career Center who are specialized in helping students with choosing majors; building skills; developing résumés, cover letters, and professional networks; completing applications, applying to graduate and professional schools, and preparing for internships, jobs, and more. 

Career Consultants are available year-round for one-on-one appointments. 

Students and recent grads may schedule an appointment via Handshake anytime. 

Are There Any Networking/Internship/Career Fair Events For Students? 

Yes, there are events specific to major, interest, student background, etc. throughout the academic year. Students may access the complete event details via Handshake

What Is The Internship Prep Program? 

The Internship Prep Program (IPP) is a combination of workshops and individual appointments designed to offer individualized support of each student’s internship or experiential learning search. Students who complete the Internship Prep Program and related requirements are guaranteed resources and personalized support while pursing internships or other experiential learning opportunities during their undergraduate career. Students can begin the IPP anytime by scheduling an appointment with the Internship Team in Handshake

What Is The Outside The Classroom Curriculum (OCC) And How Does It Benefit Pitt Students? 

Students who participate fully in the Outside The Classroom Curriculum (OCC) report that they are more engaged in campus life, feel more connected to the University and their peers, and are more knowledgeable about resources and services at Pitt. And, perhaps most importantly, students who complete the OCC feel well prepared in interviews for internships, admission to graduate school, and full-time employment. Employers and graduate school admissions counselors have assured us that the outcomes within the 10 goal areas of the OCC are the specific traits they are looking for in applicants. 

My Student Is Unsure What They Can Do With Their Major After They Graduate. Where Can They Go? 

Students can meet with Career Consultants to discuss choosing a major and a career path based on personal strengths and preferences. Online assessments and expert advice are combined to provide students with guidance as often as needed. Students and recent grads may schedule an appointment with a career consultant via Handshake anytime. 

Where Can Students Find Information About International Positions? 

Handshake is a resource for Pitt students and alumni seeking opportunities worldwide. The Passport Career tool also provides job/internship search strategies, guidance and resources for 75+ countries (250+ cities). It includes a robust database of job/internship opportunities, an H1B database of U.S. employers, and country-by-country portfolios of key content and resources to help you with your career/job/internship interests around the world as well as across the USA. 

My Student Is Interested In Graduate School. Who Can They Speak To About This Area? 

Students may schedule an appointment with a Career Consultant via Handshake to discuss options, requirements, timelines and application materials.


How can I make payments for my student’s education? 

Visit the Student Payment Center

Where can I find information about financial aid? 

Visit the Financial Aid Office website.

Career Center

My student has not yet decided on a major or career options. Do you have resources to assist? 

The Career Center offers appointments, programs, and events that target students who are "undecided" or still exploring majors.  Our career consultants are skilled in supporting students who are exploring or reconsidering their career focus. Consultants will frequently administer assessment instruments that clarify important aspects of career development such as interests, natural abilities, and values. The goal is to provide students with the information they need to make career decisions that are consistent with who they are and what they want from life. 

 Encourage your student to schedule an appointment with an Undecided Career Consultant today, and check out our resources for exploring careers

My student needs to secure an internship. Where should he/she start? 

Pitt's Internship Guarantee is supported by the Career Center’s comprehensive Internship Prep Program (IPP).  It's never too early for students to get started with the program, which features several group workshops plus individualized support as students begin their internship search.  The IPP is a valuable resource- encourage your student to check out the schedule and get involved! 

What is your office's role in helping students find a job after graduation? 

What is your office's role in helping students find a job after graduation? 

Career Center staff are committed to preparing students for the best job search possible and providing individualized assistance as they navigate the process. Our career fairs and other related career events offer students the opportunity to interact with hundreds of employers, secure on-campus interviews, and network with Pitt alumni. In addition, many employers post job opportunities on FutureLinks, which students are encouraged to consult frequently, as new postings are always being added. 

How can I schedule a Career Center appointment for my son or daughter? 

It is the responsibility of each Pitt student to contact the Career Center office directly to inquire about our services. Students are able to schedule individual appointments with a Career Consultant in their career field of interest to assist with their job search efforts by logging into FutureLinks, visiting the Career Center office on the 2nd floor of the William Pitt Union, or calling (412) 383-4473. 

Why is networking with employers & alumni important? 

Career networking is the number one way to gain valuable insight into careers. Between 60-70% of jobs lie in the hidden job market. One way to penetrate that hidden job market is by networking with alumni in the Pitt Career Network which is an online directory of Pitt alumni volunteers that provide details about their careers and professional experience. More than 7,000 Pitt alumni have volunteered their professional profiles for students to search.