Housing And Dining Services



Who Do I Contact For Maintenance Requests Or Other Housing Facilities, And Any Dining Concerns?

Panther Central
Litchfield Towers Lobby
Pittsburgh, PA 15260

E-mail: panthercentral@pitt.edu

Who Do I Contact For Roommate Issues Or Other Resident Issues?

Residence Life

935 William Pitt Union

3959 Fifth Ave.

Pittsburgh, PA 15260

Phone : 412.648.1200


What Is the Difference Between A Resident Director (RD) And A Resident Assistant (RA)?

A resident director is a professional staff member in each residence hall to assist students with educational, recreational, and disciplinary issues.

Resident Assistants are upperclass students who live on most floors in the residence halls, and have recieved training to help with any issues or concerns students may have while living in the residence halls. The process to apply to become an RA begins in November when applications are due.

Can My Student Change Their Room Assignment?

If your student has not moved in yet, any accommodations will try to be made. However once they have moved in, any room changes will be done in emergency situations only. If there is a roommate conflict, please have your student notify us about the situation so that we can help them work towards a solution.

What Are Living Learning Communities?

Living Learning Communities (LLCs) are specialized living environments that connect students' inside- and outside-the-classroom experiences. Each LLC is unique, but all are centered on a distinctive theme or academic interest area. Students who choose to live in an LLC have a direct connection to their classroom experience, access to intentional events and programs, and dedicated staff members who work to make the community a success.

Is There Gender Inclusive Housing Available?

Yes, to upperclass students who wish to live together regardless of gender, sex, gender identity, or expression. Gender Inclusive Housing is available for upper-class students in Ruskin Hall.

It is available to First Year students as well, though this process needs to begin at admission.

More information can be found here.

Who Has Guaranteed Housing And Who Does Not?

All First-Year Fall term students who have been admitted by the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid have guaranteed housing on campus. Fourth-Year students (seniors) are not guaranteed on-campus housing. Other non-guaranteed students are transfer students, regional campus students, current students who live off campus, dental hygiene students, College of General Studies students, graduate students, and any students who did not meet the current or previous years' housing application and deposit deadlines.

Are Graduate Students Eligible For On-Campus Housing?

No. Please refer to Off-Campus Living.

What Amenities Are Available In Each Residence Hall Room?

The University provides every resident with the fundamental amenities of contemporary student life: furniture, cable TV, and online network access. Additional features include e-mail kiosks, study and recreation lounges, fitness centersdining options*coffee cartsfree shuttle bus servicelaundry facilitiesmail centers, and Living Learning Communities.

Each Residence Hall also has a security desk that is staffed 24/7 to ensure only those who live in that hall is entering, with the exception of guests signed in by the resident.

Which Residence Halls Are Available to First-Year Students?

*Designated floors are home to First-Year students while others are home to upperclass students.

Does Pitt Have Apartment-Style Rooms?

Yes, these are available to upperclass students only. Apartment-style housing includes a kitchen and private living areas, and can accomodate 1-4 students.

Does Pitt Have University-Owned Apartments?

Yes, but they are not considered a part of on-campus living. Therefore they do require a formal lease with monthly payments. All University-owned apartments are unfurnished and include efficiency to three-bedroom layouts.  Learn more here.

Does Pitt Help Students Find Housing Off-Campus?

Yes, we can assist through our Off-Campus Living Office. This department has a Renter's Guide, apartment and sublet listings, and roommate services. However, leases are between the student and landlord of the property. Find out more here.

What Dining Services Are Available On Campus?

At Pitt, we have numerous options in terms of dining, from grab-and-go to all-you-can eat cafeterias. Here is a link to a map of all dining locations that accept some form of meal plans.

What Dining Plans Are Available to Students?

Dining Services offers different, flexible meal plans to all student, ranging from All Access to just Dining Dollars, depending on where your student lives. More information on the different plans can be found here.

Is A Meal Plan Required?

If your student is living on-campus, yes.

Can My Student Change Meal Plans During The Semester?

Yes, but you only have a grace period of about two weeks after the semester begins. After that, the meal plan will continue until the semester ends.

What Is The Difference Between Meal Swipes, Dining Dollars, And Panther Funds?

Meal Swipes can be used at Market Central and The Perch, where one swipe gets entry into an all-you-can eat setting. Market To Go also accepts Meal Swipes, whereas a meal combination equals one swipe. Meal Swipes do not carry over from Fall to Spring term.

Dining Dollars can be used at any on-campus Pitt Dining locations, and these do carry over from Fall to Spring term.

Panther Funds are loaded onto a student's Panther Card, and can be continued to be loaded throughout the semester. They are used as a debit card and can be used at all on-campus Pitt Dining locations, as well as participating off-campus businesses (including non-food). These stay on the student's card until they officially leave the University.

Can I Order Care Packages For My Student?

Yes, we have partnered with Our Campus Marketing to offer care packages and other gifts that can be purchased by you and mailed to your student, if they live on campus. You can order over the phone (877.942.7887) or online.