The Panther Leadership Academy is a 20-week leadership development program for Pitt undergraduate students that helps students discover and develop their personal capacity to lead effectively and inclusively.
- Our Foundation
The foundation of the Panther Leadership Academy is based on the Social Change Model of Leadership which highlights 8 key principles: Consciousness of self, Congruence, Commitment, Collaboration, Common Purpose, Controversy with Civility, Citizenship, and Change.
In the Panther Leadership Academy, we use a hands-on approach combined with large and small group discussions, team building activities, community engagement, and role playing.
- Discussion Topics
Panther Leadership Academy Discussion Topics Include: Leadership philosophies, the cycle of socialization, the cycle of liberation, communication styles, social identities, social power, group dynamics, values, social media use, career connections, confronting biases, and community engagement.
- Panther Leadership Academy Schedule & Registration
The Panther Leadership Academy is a total of 20 weeks, but is split into two 10-week semesters, Section 01 (typically completed in the Fall semester) and Section 02 (typically completed in the Spring semester). To graduate from the Panther Leadership Academy, a student must complete both Section 01 AND Section 02.
For Section 01 and Section 02 the Panther Leadership Academy, we offer its 10-week sessions once per week for two hours in a cohort style that allows you to build relationships and grow with a small group of 10-20 peers throughout the duration of the semester. Panther Leadership Academy section availability is below.
- Spring 2024 Panther Leadership Academy Days & Times
Registration is now open for the Spring 2024 semester! The following session times are being offered for the Spring 2024 semester. Capacity is limited and so students are encouraged to register early. Registration is available on a first-come first-serve basis and we will maintain a waitlist after sections are full.
Section 01 Registration
Spring 2024 PLA Section 01 will meet weekly on WEDNESDAYS from 6-8pm – 10 Sessions starting January 24, 2024
Section 02 Registration
(Note: students should only register for Section 02 after they have completed Section 01)
- 10 Sessions starting January 23, 2024 – meets weekly every TUESDAY from 6pm-8pm
- 10 Sessions starting January 24, 2024 – meets weekly every WEDNESDAY from 6pm-8pm
- 10 Sessions starting January 25, 2024 – meets weekly every THURSDAY from 6pm-8pm
- What will I receive after completing the Panther Leadership Academy?
- A Certificate of completion from Leadership Development
- Pitt and/or Panther Leadership Academy merchandise
- Outside the Classroom Curriculum (OCC) credit toward the Leadership Development Goal
- Ability to continue taking various classes at Pitt to attain Certification of Leadership through the College of General Studies
- Ability to apply to be a Peer Facilitator for the Panther Leadership Academy
- Facilitator Applications
Applications for facilitators for the Spring 2024 semester are now open.
For undergraduates who have completed both sections of PLA:
For staff and graduate students: