Benefits of Giving Your Event OCC Credit
- Additional event promotion via OCC social media accounts and Student Affairs newsletters
- Increased student attendance at event
- Easy to display QR code to track student attendance and access to post-event report
- Student organizations (must be registered with SORC) may apply for potential event funding via the OCC Mini-Grant.
- Goal Area Icons
- Place the goal area badge that your organization/department’s event, program, or service qualifies for on your marketing materials.
- Download the Goal Area Icon file.
- Be conscientious of the background color of your advertisements. Does your selection allow for distinguishable contrast between the background and the OCC Goal Area Badge color?
- Place the Badge in the top right corner of printed flyers (8.5×11”), digital TV screens (16×9”), and all other advertisements posted online or on social media outlets.
- The Badge is 1.5” in width and height. Retain this size on all advertisements. When placing, the Badge’s edge should be a minimum of 0.25” inches from the top and right margin of the page.
- Keep Goal Area Badge separate and not overlapping or under other text.
- OCC QR Code Template
- Optional: OCC QR code templates to display at your event.
- Make sure to use the template that corresponds to the goal area of your event.
- Enter your event title, copy and paste your QR code, and display at your event.
How to Post Events for OCC Credit
Event organizers play a vital role in the OCC by creating events that are intended to provide students with opportunities to learn skills or be part of experiences that they may not be able to encounter within the classroom.
- Plan Event with the OCC in Mind
The first step toward hosting an event that would be included in the OCC is to create qualifying events. To do this, please review the Outside the Classroom Curriculum Core Competencies to determine which curriculum goal is met by your event. Only one requirement under one goal may be met by a single event.
- Submit Event for OCC Credit
Any undergraduate student at the University of Pittsburgh can add an event to the OCC for credit! Follow the steps below to receive a QR code for students who attend your event to scan:
Log in to Suitable with your Pitt email and password Click on the ACTIVITIES tab on the left hand side of the screen. Click the blue ADD AN ACTIVITY button on the top of the page. Follow the steps to add your event to the system. Once your event is approved, you will receive an email with the QR code that students can scan at your event to receive OCC credit.
- Promote Your Event
This event will now be visible to students who log in to the OCC, and will also appear as a fulfillment item for the specific goal that you selected.
To request additional promotion via OCC newsletters or social media accounts, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once your event is approved for credit, you are strongly encouraged to add OCC logos to your marketing materials.
- Record Attendance
To make sure students who attend events receive OCC co-curricular credit, attendance must be recorded at the event. There are a few ways to track this:
1. Print the unique event QR code and make sure students scan using the Suitable mobile app at the event.
2. Students also have the option to self-report by logging in to the OCC through the Pitt Portal or using their Suitable mobile app.
3. After your event is over, you may email email@example.com for an event report containing every student that scanned the QR code.
If you cannot guarantee that attendance will be collected at the event, instruct students to self-report their experience.
OCC Mini-Grants for Student Organizations
The OCC Mini-Grant Program is a funding source designed to support events and programs hosted by student organizations at the University of Pittsburgh. Apply for an OCC Mini-Grant.
- Criteria for Consideration
- Your organization must be registered with SORC.
- Your event must be open to all Pitt undergraduate students (i.e. no private events for your organization’s members only).
- Your event must qualify for a requirement under one of the core competencies (Pitt Pride excluded). Read a definition of each core competency.
- Your event must be easily accessible to all Pitt undergraduate students.
- Your organization is only eligible to apply for an OCC mini-grant once per academic year.
- Grant Amount and Reimbursement
If you are approved for an OCC mini-grant, you will be reimbursed for your event expenses up to $250.00. To receive your reimbursement, you must email your event receipts to Mallory Milberger at MGM126@pitt.edu.
- All OCC Mini-Grant applications during the academic year will be accepted as rolling admissions. Applications must be submitted at least 2 weeks before the scheduled date of the event to be considered.
- The OCC will be accepting Mini-Grant applications throughout the semester until the funding source has been depleted. A one-week processing period will be in effect from the time the application is received to approval for the grant.
- Please contact SORC in advance of making purchases for your event to ensure you are following appropriate guidelines. You can visit the SORC office in 833 WPU or call (412) 624-7115.
- Mini-Grant funds WILL NOT be deposited into your SORC account until AFTER your event when receipts have been received by the OCC office.