PEAR 1 and 2
WHAT ARE PEAR 1 AND PEAR 2?
PEAR (Personal Education, Assistance, and Referral) programs are education services available to assist University of Pittsburgh Students in exploring the many aspects of alcohol use and personal decision-making. PEAR classes offered by the Office of Health Education and Promotion may be used to fulfill educational requirements assigned by the University as part of a sanction for an alcohol policy violation. Student can also take the course voluntarily, by request. PEAR classes are only held during fall and spring terms. You can see more detailed information on each class and how to register below:
How To Register For PEAR I or PEAR II
Please email email@example.com to register for a course. Please be sure to include your first and last name, your people soft number and specify which course(s) you need to attend in your email.
The appropriate PEAR facilitator will work with you to schedule you into an available section time. Please permit 1-2 business days for replies.
*Please note: PEAR 1 and PEAR 2 are educational courses only and are not intended to fulfil a mandated drug or alcohol assessment or counseling ordered by the court. Classes are limited to University of Pittsburgh students at this time.*
PEAR 1 is for first time alcohol violations, consisting of:
- ONE (1) three hour class
- ONE (1) 30 minute one-on-one meeting with the facilitator
- Homework assignments
- Pre- and Post-assessments
PEAR 1 is led by graduate-level assistants and staff, and focuses on topics such as alcohol and the body, alcohol emergencies and the health, social, and legal risks of drinking. Group discussion also covers reducing high risk drinking and exploring possible consequences.
Preparing For Your PEAR I Class
- Complete the required pre-assessment before the start of your class. This will be emailed to you within 48 hours of class date.
- Arrive a few minutes early to prepare. Classes are held in the Wellness Center at 119 University Place, Floor 2 in Nordenberg Hall. Please use the Wellness Center entrance on University Place, take the stairs to the main lobby and follow the sign to the Health Education Conference Room.
- Refer to your specific class registration to determine the time and facilitator for your course.
Lateness to class is not tolerated. Arrive a few minutes early to avoid $50.00 no-show fines. Any student who fails to complete any aspect of the course will be required to start the course again from the beginning. Students sanctioned by the university to complete who do not satisfactorily complete the course will have a judicial hold placed on their account until such completion has been achieved.
PEAR 2 is for second time violation and consists of:
- A minimum of TWO one hour meetings with Health Education staff
- Homework assignments
PEAR 2 explores individual decisions around drinking behavior and action planning to reduce high risk consumption.
How To Prepare for PEAR 2
- Before your first meeting, please be sure to complete the online pre-assessment. This is typically emailed to you with your confirmation email.
- We recommend arriving a few minutes early. Classes are held in the Wellness Center at 119 University Place, Floor 2 in Nordenberg Hall. Please use the Wellness Center entrance on University Place, take the stairs to the main lobby and proceed to Student Health front desk to check in for your appointment.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact the Office of Health Education and Promotion at 412-383-1830 during regular business hours (M-F 8:30am-5pm) or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.