Q: How do I start an organization?
A: Read the Registration Guidelines.
- Secure ten (10) currently enrolled Pitt students as initial members. You will need at least 1 president, vice president, and business manager to start.
- Secure a full-time faculty or staff member at the University to serve as your advisor.
- Write a constitution for your organization following the Constitution Requirements.
Q: How do I see how much money is my organization’s account?
- Go to www.sorc.pitt.edu and click on the “Organization Directory” tab. This will take you to Engage
- Log in with your my.pitt.edu log in info
- Search your organization
- Click on the Finance tab in your organization site’s menu bar
- Click on Accounts, then on Transactions
Q: How do I deposit funds into my organization’s private account?
A: Process for depositing CASH
- Go to SORC with your cash in as big of bills as possible. We only accept loose change up to $2.00
- Make sure to count your cash beforehand so that we can make sure it is the same when counted at SORC
- When you arrive, you will be given a deposit remittance form. FIll out all fields, including Student Total. Leave SORC Total and SORC Signature blank
- You will be given a receipt for the funds deposited. Please allow 7 days for processing
A: Process for depositing CHECKS
- All checks should be made payable to the UNIVERSITY OF PITTSBURGH and have the individual’s name and mailing address in the top left corner of the check. The name of your organization can be written on the Memo line
- Bring all checks to SORC counter to be deposited
- DO NOT endorse your checks. We’ll do it for you with your organization’s account number
- Hang tight for a bit while a SORC employee counts everything and gives you a receipt. Please allow 7 days for processing
Q: What is a Reimbursement form and when do I fill one out?
A: Form used for reimbursing any individual for expenses they have already paid on behalf of their organization. Reimbursements are not used to pay for any unpaid invoices or expenses
Q: How do I fill out a Reimbursement form?
- Come into SORC WITH original receipt(s)
- Log into one of our computers and follow the directions for the PINK sheet hanging on the wall
- Once completed, ask a SORC faculty to load PINK paper and print
- Attach your original receipt(s) to the T&B and place in the top bin that says “Travel and Business”
Q: What is the P-Card/T-Card and how do I use it?
A: SORC office has credit cards that student organizations can use for online and over-the-phone purchases. The Travel Card (T-Card) is used for travel expenses and registration fees; the Purchase Card (P-Card) is used for all other purchases. These credit cards CANNOT be used to purchase any form of ground transportation, food, or software. If you are using the T-Card or the P-Card, all purchases must be made in the SORC office. You will need to fill out a form with information of your order, and upon completing the transaction, you must print out a receipt or confirmations from the order. Funds will then be taken out of your organization’s account.
Q: Who is the SGB Allocations Committee and How Can I Get Money From Them?
A: The Allocations Committee holds the responsibility of allocating funds to student organizations for approved programs and purposes according to established policies and procedures. Each organization is assigned an Allocations Committee liaison to assist them in determining eligibility of funding and creating requests.
Please reference the Allocations Manual available on the SGB website for further information on SGB funding policies and the Allocations procedural guidelines.
Q: What is Motorpool?
A: Motorpool is just another way to say “The University of Pittsburgh Parking and Transportation Services Office.” With Motorpool, student organizations can rent University vehicles for organization business purposes. To ensure availability, be sure to contact the Motorpool office at least 2 weeks in advance of your trip.
Parking and Transportation Services (Motorpool)
3525 Forbes Avenue Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm
Q: What are the Qualifications and Process of Becoming an Approved Driver?
- Must be a University of Pittsburgh student
- Must have a clear driving record
- Must be at least 21 years old to drive a 7 passenger van or smaller and at least 25 to drive a 12 passenger van
- Fill out a Request for Driver Information form available in the SORC office
- The driver must bring his or her Pitt ID and Driver’s License when completing the form