Psychiatry Services

Psychiatric services are now provided in the Student Health Services (SHS) by a board-certified psychiatrist.   A referral from either a Student Health Services clinician or therapist from the University Counseling Center or from the community is required.

The psychiatrist is a medical doctor who specializes in the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of mental, addictive, and emotional disorders.   Psychiatrists are trained in the medical, psychological, and social components of mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders and utilize a broad range of treatment modalities, including diagnostic tests, prescribing medications, psychotherapy, and helping patients cope with stress and crises.

Scheduling an Appointment

If you have been referred to psychiatry services, you can call the Student Health Services at 412-383-1800 to schedule an appointment.   Please understand that most appointments must be scheduled well in advance to determine a time that works well for you and the doctor.   Initial visits are typically one hour and follow-up visits 20-30 minutes.

Please be mindful of our cancelation policy.   Scheduled appointments must be canceled a minimum of two hours prior to the appointment to avoid a “no-show” fee.

Your Visit with the Psychiatrist

Prior to your appointment, at check-in, you will be required to complete a series of questionnaires.   At some point you may also be asked to sign an authorization for release of information so your psychiatrist can communicate with your therapist and/or clinician to optimize your care and treatment plan.

If medication is prescribed as part of your treatment plan, you will be scheduled for regular follow-up visits with either the psychiatrist or SHS clinician.   Prescriptions can be readily filled in our University Pharmacy.

Most students benefit from a combination of therapy/counseling and medication.   Your SHS psychiatrist and clinician will most likely recommend that you see a counselor/therapist in conjunction with your medication treatment.

Your SHS psychiatrist will determine your treatment plan.   In the event your needs are beyond the scope of our services, you will be referred to an off-campus psychiatrist or mental health treatment center for care.