The University of Pittsburgh is committed to the advancement of learning and service to society. This is best accomplished in an atmosphere of mutual respect and civility, self-restraint, concern for others, and academic integrity. By choosing to join this community, I accept the obligation to live by these common values and commit myself to the following principles:
As a Pitt Student:
- I will embrace the concept of a civil community, which abhors violence, theft, and exploitation of others;
- I will commit myself to the pursuit of knowledge with personal integrity and academic honesty;
- I will respect the sanctity of the learning environment and avoid disruptive and deceitful behavior toward other members of the campus community;
- I will support a culture of diversity by respecting the rights of those who differ from myself;
- I will contribute to the development of a caring community where compassion for others and freedom of thought and expression are valued;
- I will honor, challenge and contribute to the scholarly heritage left by those who preceded me and work to leave this a better place for those who follow.
By endorsing these common principles, I accept a moral obligation to behave in ways that contribute to a civil campus environment and resolve to support this behavior in others. This commitment to civility is my promise to the University of Pittsburgh and its community of scholars.