Health Education and Promotion
SHS participates in various programs to increase awareness including promotion of National LGBTQIA Health Awareness Week — “Come Out for Health.” We collaborate with the Rainbow Alliance, the University’s undergraduate student group, in the HEALTHY U Fair. In commemoration with World AIDS Day, SHS held our first all-day HIV testing symposium at the William Pitt Union., and is a participant in the Pittsburgh AIDS Task Force.
The Office of Health Education and Promotion provides a variety of programs, services and educational materials to enhance personal and community health and wellbeing.
Our Health Education Office includes:
- a Drug and Alcohol Counselor, who can assist students in substance use reduction and cessation.
- a QUIT program for students who are interested in smoking cessation.
- a Registered Dietitian, who can advise students wishing to alter their weight or assess their nutritional status.
Following are a few of the many resources available for women who partner with women:
(Information about STD’s, as they pertain to lesbian women)
- Lesbian Health: Frequently Asked Questions
- Ten things Lesbians should talk about with their health care provider
- Health Issues for Lesbians: Tips to stay healthy
- HIV/AIDS among Women Who Have Sex With Women