CLICK HERE TO APPLY FOR 2023-24 MEMBERSHIP!
The Student Civic Engagement Council (SCEC) program is designed not only to influence the service and social justice engagement of students but also of neighborhoods and the campus community. The goals of the SCEC are encompassed into 3 main focus areas.
- Student Development
- Provide students with leadership training, including professional development while building upon their talents and skills to impact their campus community to increase student service engagement
- Foster a sense of transformation through community service
- Campus Commitment
- To challenge and encourage the University to promote a culture of service where every student, faculty, and staff is encouraged to be an active volunteer and engaged citizen.
- Support the commitment of the Community Engagement Centers
- To be an advocate of social justice issues that affect students and diverse neighborhoods and communities utilizing university resources.
- Community Engagement
- To support and work with communities and neighborhoods in the Pittsburgh region to break down barriers of equity and inclusion through meaningful service and civic engagement.
- To improve the quality and efficiency of service provided to communities and neighborhoods by university students, staff and faculty.
Nine members of the SCEC will embark on a 1-year commitment where they can strive to achieve the program goals as mentioned above. The approach to achieve these goals will be structured into 3 programmatic approaches.
- Neighborhood Match– 2 members of the SCEC will strategically match to various neighborhoods in the Pittsburgh area that is a focus area for the university. During their 1 year commitment, these SCEC members will develop relationships with key community stakeholders (nonprofits, community groups), working together to leverage community and campus resources to develop and improve community needs.
- University Match– Each SCEC member will be matched with a university department partner, in order to promote student volunteerism.
- Mentorship– Each SCEC member will be matched with a University/community member that champions community engagement. For this commitment they will meet at least once a semester to discuss the members’ development of key service leadership attributes that can contribute to a successful community outcome. Additionally, each member will act as mentors to members of the Service Leadership Committee (SLC), thus creating a mentor pipeline that ultimately contributes to service leadership development for the Pitt community.
To be an eligible member of the Student Civic Engagement Council (SCEC), each student must have met the following requirements before applying for membership.
- At least 2.5 overall GPA
- Must submit resume with application.
- Must be available early August 2023 for training.
- Completed application submitted before the deadline.
- One letter of recommendation (personal, professional, or academic source) is not required but highly recommended to be submitted. Recommendation letters can be submitted after the application deadline if needed. Recommendation letters can be submitted via the google form with your application or can be directly emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email email@example.com should you have any questions regarding letters of recommendation.
To apply for the SCEC the completed application and supporting documentation must be received before application close. Applications and supporting materials must be submitted online, please click here to apply.
Information Sessions (ZOOM):
(1) February 9, 2023 @ 8:30PM
(2) February 15, 2023 @ 7PM
(3) February 20, 2023 @ 9PM
(4) February 24, 2023 @ 4PM
(5) March 1, 2023 @ 7PM
(6) March 2, 2023 @ 7PM
Please sign up on this google form. One hour before the zoom information session you will receive a zoom link by email that will allow you to join the meeting.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions!
|Application open||January 30, 2023 – March 13, 2023|
|Interview invitations sent via email||March 20, 2023 / March 21, 2023|
|1st Round Interviews||March 27, 2023 – April 2, 2023|
|2nd Round Interviews||April 5, 2023 – April 13, 2023|
|Final Decision Announcement||April 15, 2023|
|Training (3 Days)||Summer 2023 ( Dates TBA)|