Signature Days of Service Request for Proposals
The Office of PittServes at the University of Pittsburgh is proud to invest both time and resources into the local community through various community engagement opportunities. In an effort to continue our partnership with communities, we are requesting proposals from community partners to expand and implement their volunteer programming!
Proposals will be reviewed by a committee based on their ability to engage both community members and Pitt students in any upcoming volunteer opportunities until June 2021. Project proposals must include at least one of the following components:
- A project that addresses an unmet community need or want, that funds and person-power can help to implement.
- A plan for long-term sustainability of the project, that may include continued engagement of Pitt students, staff, or faculty.
- A collaborative effort of two or more community-based agencies and residents.
- A commitment to environmental sustainability, focusing on reuse, recycle, and (if needed) purchase of sustainable materials.
Ideal projects will engage Pitt volunteers and be available to individuals of differing abilities. At least one agency must be a registered 501c3 organization and provide a W9 at time of application.
GOALS OF SIGNATURE DAYS OF SERVICE
It is our aim that with these grants the following milestones will be achieved:
- Foster a sense of community among our nonprofit agencies and Pitt volunteers, through an intentional day of service.
- Engage volunteers world-wide in service and reflection, connecting students, faculty, staff and alumni together as Pitt is to serve for life.
- Employ the principles of sustainability, reducing waste of the event and creating a cleaner community.
ABOUT THE GRANTS
Leveraging the UP to $10,000 award will be distributed to community partners for the implementation of signature days of service and ongoing volunteer projects. Projects will be reviewed and determined levels of funding will be decided upon by the selection committee composed of students and staff. Organizations may request any amount between $200 – $10,000 to enhance their proposed projects.
The preferred method of submission is to utilize the online form located below. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis or until funds are no longer available. Applications that will utilize student volunteers for Signature Days of Service must adhere to the following deadlines and must accompany a separate project submission form:
- Be a Good Neighbor Day of Service – March 1. Project Submission form – Project Submission Form.
Example of projects can include:
- Creation of a community garden, park, or playground
- Creation of a custom painted pallet-fence, sanded and painted to be installed around a community space
- Graffiti removal and mural implementation
- Re-imagining and preparation for less-used or unused property or structures to be utilized by community
- Host a meal distribution event to create or distribute meals
- A new great idea… that you have just been wishing you could implement with a little more person-power and financial resources!
TIMELINE & INFO SESSIONS
The Request for Proposals will be accepted until June 1, 2021. Information sessions will be held to discuss the process and brainstorm potential projects. If you would like to request a separate meeting time, or host an information session at your agency, please contact Kristy Giandomenico (email@example.com).
- Info Sessions: Register for an info session
- Friday, February 12 at 10:00AM
- Wednesday, February 24th at 5:30PM
- Projects submitted for Be A Good Neighbor Day of Service will need to be submitted by March 1 and will be approved by March 8.
Any other projects will need to be submitted no later than June 1, with approval by June 20.
ADDITIONAL FUNDING OPPORTUNITY
If your project may require additional funding to meet the full budget, collaborative efforts with ioby (www.ioby.org) may be available.
Questions: Email Kristy Giandomenico at firstname.lastname@example.org