Safety And Conduct


What Is The Pitt Police Contact Information?

On-Campus Emergency: ext. 4-2121
Off-Campus Emergency: 412-624-2121
Non-Emergency: 412-624-4040

What Are The Different Ways I/My Student Can Receive Alerts?

The Pitt Police sends out crime alerts via the Emergency Notification System (ENS). This service is available to all Pitt students, faculty, and staff, but those affiliated with Pitt can sign others up for these alerts. For instructions on how your student can sign you up, please follow the instructions here.

Can I Access Past Pitt Crime Alerts?

Yes, those can be found here.

Are There Self-Defense Classes Offered At Pitt?

Self Defense Awareness Familiarization Exchange (SAFE) is a crime-victim prevention and awareness program sponsored by the National Self-Defense Institute, Inc. This program teaches students a variety of self-defense tactics and options if confronted by an attacker. Residence Officer Program provides an opportunity for the Pitt Police and the students to work together in a non-confrontational setting.


Classes are held throughout the academic year. For more information on class schedule and how to register, please have your student contact Officer Heather Camp at

Are There Any Police Or Transportation Escort Services Available To Students?

Yes, Pitt has a SafeRider program for students traveling in the evening or early morning hours, and are not on an established bus route. Students are limited to one round trip per night and 25 trips per semester. This should only be used in a non-emergency situation, and students can bring up to two non-University guests per transportation. More information on how to request a ride or the SafeRider boundaries, please check out their website here.

How Can Crime Be Reported?

Students can contact Pitt Police, or use the new Rave app on their phone. Students can call or text in tips, anonymously if need be, and also set timers of when they expect to be at a certain location for another Pitt student to track. The Rave App can be downloaded from the Pitt App Store, iTunes, or Google Play.

Where Can I Find Crime Statistics For Pitt Campus?
Can My Student Register Their Laptop Or Mobile Device?

Students can register their laptop or cell phone with the Pitt Police using a unique identifier, such as the device’s serial number.  Registered devices are more efficiently returned to their original owner if recovered after a theft.  Look for the Pitt Police at events around campus or call 412-624-4040 to schedule an appointment to have a device registered.

Can My Student Register Their Bike?

Yes, through BikeIndex. This will help authorities track stolen bicycles and provide a secure place to store all of your bike's details.

Does Pitt Provide Fingerprinting Services?

The Police Department provides fingerprinting services for University of Pittsburgh faculty, staff and students. Fingerprinting is typically available at the police station on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2:00PM-3:00PM. The cost is $10. Please call 412-624-4040 prior to arrival to check availability.

Is There A University Lost and Found?

The Police Department is the central location for the University’s lost and found. All property turned in is inventoried and, if possible, the owner is contacted. Storage space is limited; therefore, unclaimed property is disposed of every six months. A notice is placed in the Pitt News prior to disposal. If you would like to inquire about a lost item, please call 412-624-4040.

What Can A Student Do To Report An Incident Of Sexual Assault Or Receive Support?

We strongly suggest any student who suffers from a sexual assault to contact Pitt Police (412.624.2121) or The City Of Pittsburgh Police (911) immediately. It is also strongly encouraged to seek medical attention and treatment. Recommended local services include MaGee-Women's Hospital or UPMC Mercy Hospital.


In the unfortunate instance that a student does encounter sexual assault, Pitt has an Office of Sexual Harassment and Assault Response and Education (SHARE). Students may request completely confidential counseling by calling the counseling center at 412-648-7930 (8:30 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday) to request an appointment.   After hours, (after 5 PM or on weekends) students may call the on-call service at 412-648-7856 to speak with a professional counselor.   The SHARE Office is located in the Wellness Center on the second floor of Nordenberg Hall, 119 University Place.