Campus Safety


What Is The Pitt Police Contact Information?

On-Campus Emergency: ext. 4-2121
Off-Campus Emergency: 412-624-2121
Non-Emergency: 412-624-4040

What Are The Different Ways I/My Student Can Receive Alerts?

Understanding the difference between Pitt Crime Alerts vs. Emergency Notification System (ENS):
- A Crime Alert is an activity on and around campus, such as a burglary, suspicious activity, mostly anything that a Pitt Police officer is called for. An ENS is when the entire University is in an emergency, such as being closed for weather/snow, all-campus threats, etc. These are two separate things, but parents/family members can receive both notifications.
- Students can sign up to three mobile numbers to receive Pitt Crime Alerts and ENS'. All alerts are posted on the Pitt Police website and their social media, however to receive alerts it must be done in the student's MyPitt portal.

Here is how students sign up for the ENS service:

1. Log into (You can also log into and click Emergency Notification System). Note: You will be prompted to accept the Terms of Use the first time you log in. Read the terms of use, click the box next to I have read and agree to the Rave Terms of Use, and click Submit.
2. Click Add next to Mobile Phones and enter your phone number.
3. If you want to receive both text and voice alerts, leave the box checked next to Enable Voice Message Delivery. If you only want to receive text alerts, uncheck this box. Click Continue.
4. Select your carrier from the drop-down menu. Click Continue.
5. The system will send a confirmation code to your mobile phone. Enter the code in the Confirmation Code field and click Continue.
6. A confirmation window displays indicating your phone number has been subscribed. A confirmation text message is also sent.
From there, a student can then opt into any notification, which includes Crime Alerts. Please note that the mobile number(s) that have been added to the above system will receive all notifications your student has signed up for! To sign up for Crime Alerts:
1. Click the Opt In tab near the top of the page.
2. Subscribe to Crime Alerts.
Can I Access Past Pitt Crime Alerts?

Yes, those can be found here.

Are There Self-Defense Classes Offered At Pitt?

Self Defense Awareness Familiarization Exchange (SAFE) is a crime-victim prevention and awareness program sponsored by the National Self-Defense Institute, Inc. This program teaches students a variety of self-defense tactics and options if confronted by an attacker. Residence Officer Program provides an opportunity for the Pitt Police and the students to work together in a non-confrontational setting.


Classes are held throughout the academic year. For more information on class schedule and how to register, please have your student contact Officer Heather Camp at

Are There Any Police Or Transportation Escort Services Available To Students?

Yes, Pitt has a SafeRider program for students traveling in the evening or early morning hours, and are not on an established bus route. Students are limited to one round trip per night and 25 trips per semester. This should only be used in a non-emergency situation, and students can bring up to two non-University guests per transportation. More information on how to request a ride or the SafeRider boundaries, please check out their website here.

How Can Crime Be Reported?

Students can contact Pitt Police, or use the new Rave app on their phone. Students can call or text in tips, anonymously if need be, and also set timers of when they expect to be at a certain location for another Pitt student to track. The Rave App can be downloaded from the Pitt App Store, iTunes, or Google Play.

Where Can I Find Crime Statistics For Pitt Campus?
Can My Student Register Their Laptop Or Mobile Device?

Students can register their laptop or cell phone with the Pitt Police using a unique identifier, such as the device’s serial number.  Registered devices are more efficiently returned to their original owner if recovered after a theft.  Look for the Pitt Police at events around campus or call 412-624-4040 to schedule an appointment to have a device registered.

Can My Student Register Their Bike?

Yes, through BikeIndex. This will help authorities track stolen bicycles and provide a secure place to store all of your bike's details.

Does Pitt Provide Fingerprinting Services?

The Police Department provides fingerprinting services for University of Pittsburgh faculty, staff and students. Fingerprinting is typically available at the police station on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays from 2:00PM-3:00PM. The cost is $10. Please call 412-624-4040 prior to arrival to check availability.

Is There A University Lost and Found?

The Police Department is the central location for the University’s lost and found. All property turned in is inventoried and, if possible, the owner is contacted. Storage space is limited; therefore, unclaimed property is disposed of every six months. A notice is placed in the Pitt News prior to disposal. If you would like to inquire about a lost item, please call 412-624-4040.

What Can A Student Do To Report An Incident Of Sexual Assault Or Receive Support?

We strongly suggest any student who suffers from a sexual assault to contact Pitt Police (412.624.2121) or The City Of Pittsburgh Police (911) immediately. It is also strongly encouraged to seek medical attention and treatment. Recommended local services include MaGee-Women's Hospital or UPMC Mercy Hospital.


In the unfortunate instance that a student does encounter sexual assault, Pitt has an Office of Sexual Harassment and Assault Response and Education (SHARE). Students may request completely confidential counseling by calling the counseling center at 412-648-7930 (8:30 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday) to request an appointment.   After hours, (after 5 PM or on weekends) students may call the on-call service at 412-648-7856 to speak with a professional counselor.   The SHARE Office is located in the Wellness Center on the second floor of Nordenberg Hall, 119 University Place.