Health, Wellness and Counseling Services


Where Can My Student Go For Health Services And Counseling?
Office of Student Health Service
Nordenberg Hall - Wellness Center
119 University Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Phone: 412-383-1800
Monday, Wednesday & Thursday: 8:30 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Tuesday & Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m. - 3 p.m.
Summer Hours
Monday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
University Counseling Center

Nordenberg Hall - Wellness Center
119 University Place
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Phone:     412-648-7930
Monday - Friday:     8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Monday & Thursday:     5 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.





What If My Student's Issue Is An Emergency Or The Health Center Is Closed And It Cannot Wait?

Please have them call 911 if it is an emergency or is life-threatening.

If the situation is a non-emergency and the Health Center is closed, please have your student consider these locations:

UPMC Urgent Care at Shadyside

5231 Centre Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15232
Open 9 a.m. – 9 p.m., 365 days per year
Accepts Panther Funds and many insurances policies are accepted.
PAT Bus connection from Oakland: 71A 77A 77B, 81B, 86A
Red or Purple University Shuttle Bus Route

MedExpress Urgent Care

5201 Baum Blvd.
Pittsburgh, PA 15224
Open 9 a.m. – 9 p.m., 7 days/week
Call for fee rates.

What Are The Immunizations Requirements At Pitt?

All incoming students must show proof of immunization of:

  • Measles  (Rubeola)
  • Mumps
  • German Measles  (Rubella)
  • Chicken Pox  (Varicella)

Before attendance. Furthermore, Pennsylvania law requires students who live in University housing to certify immunization of the meningococcal disease, or to sign a waiver that you decline the vaccine.   If residing in University housing, your student will receive the certification/waiver form with their University notice of assignment.

How Can My Student Submit Their Immunization Forms?

Immunization information can be electronically entered by students using on-line forms available at the Online Student Health portal. After electronically submitting these, they MUST be faxed (412.383.1846) or mailed to the Office of Health Service no later than October 1. Failure to send these in will result in a hold on your student's account for Spring semester, and they will not be able to register for classes.

How Can My Student Make An Appointment At The Health Center?

• In Person

Have your student go to Student Health Service at the Wellness Center located in Nordenberg Hall, 119 University Place (2nd Floor), and speak with a receptionist.   They should have theirr PeopleSoft ID#, student ID card, and health insurance card available.


• By Telephone

Have your student call 412.383.1800 and speak with a receptionist.   They should have their PeopleSoft ID# and health insurance card available.


• By Online Portal

We now offer a variety of easy access Online Portal Services to our Oakland Campus students thru the University Student Portal site.


**No-Show Policy**

Please be aware that SHS has a “no-show” policy.   This means that if your student does not come to their appointment -OR- cancels the appointment less than 2 hours prior to the scheduled appointment, a $10 charge will be added to their tuition statement. This policy is in place to ensure that students are seen as quickly as possible. Students who arrive late, no show for appointments, or cancel at the last second, unfairly deprive other students of timely access to care.

What Should My Student Bring With Them To Their Scheduled Appointment?

All students should bring a filled copy of their Pre-Visit form with them to their first appointment.

Are There Any Vaccines Available To Students At The Health Center?

Immunization Vaccines available at Student Health include:

  • Hepatitis A
  • Hepatitis B
  • Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
  • Influenza (Flu): (FREE to all Main Campus registered Pitt Students)
  • MMRMeningitis: (Meningococcal Quadrivalent and Meningococcal B)
  • Serogroup B Meningococcal (Trumenba and Bexsero)
  • Tetanus: (TDAP)
  • Typhoid
  • Varicella
  • Yellow Fever

Most vaccinations require a twenty minute wait afterwards following the administration of the vaccine (with the exception of the influenza vaccine), so please plan accordingly.

What Different Medical Services Are Available To Students?

Our clinic is staffed by board-certified physicians, licensed nurse practitioners, physician assistants, registered nurses and medical assistants who have dedicated themselves to providing the highest quality medical care.

  • Routine physical examinations, including age-appropriate screening and counseling
  • Testing and treatment for sexually transmitted diseases
  • Evaluation of male sexual problems, such as impotence
  • Testicular and skin cancer screening
  • Vaccinations including HPV
  • Sports physicals
  • Injury-related care
  • Evaluation and management of dermatologic complaints, including hair loss and acne
  • Specialized care for men who have sex with men

Find out more about each area here.

Does Pitt Offer Psychiatric Services To Pitt Students?

Yes, psychiatric services are now provided in the Student Health Service (SHS) by a board-certified psychiatrist.   A referral from either a Student Health Service clinician or therapist from the University Counseling Center or from the community is required.

Does My Student Need Health Insurance?

All students pay a Wellness Fee as part of their tuition, and this helps cover the cost of promotion and health education at little or no cost for the campus. It also covers the student's co-pay at the Wellness Center.

Additional health insurance can be used to pay for services and extensive medical treatment or care at other facilities. Insurance is available to all students through UPMC Health Plan. Please contact Pitt's Benefits Office, 412.624.8160, for more information.

All international students must have current health insurance throughout their time at Pitt.

As A Parent Or Family Member, Do I Have Access To My Student's Medical Records?

The Office of Health Service maintain patient records as mandated by the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Pennsylvania State Law.

No member of the University’s staff, other than members of the staff directly involved in the care of the patient, is entitled to information from any patient record without the student’s written consent* or a court-ordered subpoena.

No parent of an adult patient (aged 18 years and older) or of an emancipated minor (a person who is under the age of 18 and a graduate of high school, married or has been married, and/or pregnant or has been pregnant) is entitled to receive confidential information about a patient unless the patient gives written consent*.


Other than members of the staff directly involved in the care of the patient, no one may read or receive a copy of any part of the patient’s record with the following exceptions:

  • With written consent of the patient (or his/her parent or guardian if he/she is a minor and not emancipated), a copy of part or all of a medical record may be sent to an outside physician, medical facility, or other institution. Verbal permission may be obtained with witness verification.
  • With written consent* of the patient (or his/her parent or guardian if he/she is a minor and not emancipated), copies of pertinent records may be provided to attorneys, investigating agencies, or copying services.
  • Cases in which legal statutes require reports to be made, for example, reporting of communicable diseases.

Read more about patients' rights here.

If There Is Concern For A Student's Health, Safety, Or Welfare Is There A Service Available To Turn To?

The Care and Resource Support (CARS) Team accepts referrals, problem solves, and responds to student behavior identified as reasonably causing concern for students’ health, welfare, and safety.

What Can A Student Do To Report An Incident Of Sexual Assault Or Receive Support?

We strongly suggest any student who suffers from a sexual assault to contact Pitt Police (412.624.2121) or The City Of Pittsburgh Police (911) immediately. It is also strongly encouraged to seek medical attention and treatment. Recommended local services include MaGee-Women's Hospital or UPMC Mercy Hospital.

In the unfortunate instance that a student does encounter sexual assault, Pitt has an Office of Sexual Harassment and Assault Response and Education (SHARE). Students may request completely confidential counseling by calling the counseling center at 412-648-7930 (8:30 AM to 5 PM, Monday through Friday) to request an appointment.   After hours, (after 5 PM or on weekends) students may call the on-call service at 412-648-7856 to speak with a professional counselor.   The SHARE Office is located in the Wellness Center on the second floor of Nordenberg Hall, 119 University Place.

What Different Counseling Services Are Offered On Campus?

The Counseling Center offers Individual, Group, and Couples Therapy.

How Can My Student Schedule A Counseling Appointment?

Screening appointments are offered daily.
Monday – Friday,  from 9 a.m. to 12 noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

To schedule a screening appointment, call (412-648-7930).   The purpose of the Screening appointment is meet with a clinician to assess your student's current concerns/problems and determine the most appropriate treatment options for addressing their clinical needs.
They will be offered the first available appointment or referral that matches their schedule.

What Does My Student Do If It's A Crisis Situation Or Emergency?

If there is an emergency situation where safety is endangered, there is an imminent risk of harm, and immediate help is required, call 911 or the Pitt Police at 412-624-2121.

What Can Be Done If The Counseling Center Is Closed?

Have your student call the counseling center main telephone number (412.648.7930).   They will listen to a recorded message which states “if you need to speak with someone immediately, press one.”   Press one and their call will be transferred to a crisis response service called ProtoCall, who is contracted with the University to provide after-hours crisis response.

What Is The Wait Time For Counseling Services?

Wait times can vary considerably, depending on type of service selected, time of year, demand for services, staffing level, and student preferences.   At the beginning of the semester, students generally get in rather quickly for follow-up appointments.   In September, average wait time for a follow-up appointment was four business days.   This generally increases in October and November.   Depending upon demand and student preferences for particular counselors or time slots, follow-up appointments can take up to several weeks.   It should be noted that groups are usually available immediately.

100% of students seeking help have had initial contact with a clinician the same day this semester.

Where Can Students Submit Referrals If They Are Concerned About Another Student's Health, Welfare, and Safety?

The Care and Resource Support (CARS) Team accepts referrals, problem solves, and responds to student behavior identified as reasonably causing concern for students’ health, welfare, and safety.

The CARS Team has established liaisons in many academic centers/departments across campus, and they are listed below. The CARS Care Manager in the Office of Student Affairs can be contacted at 412-624-5756 or

Are There Resources For My Student Who Is Struggling With Substances Or In Recovery From Substances?

University Counseling Center

  • Offers confidential, non-judgmental individual and group therapy as well as referrals to community resources


Collegiate Recovery Program

  • Community of students in recovery from substances who promote sober events as well as resources to promote recovery both on and off campus