- WHAT IS THE POSTURE OF THE OFFICE OF INTERFAITH DURING FALL 2020?
University Operational Posture: Our posture is Elevated to High Risk, meaning all staff are encouraged and will be working from home, and all workshops, events, programs, and meetings will primarily be done virtually. Our physical office will not be open. All contact will be done via email at email@example.com .
- WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THE TERM “INTERFAITH”?
There are many definitions for interfaith. However, we hold to the well known and well tested definition emphasized by the Interfaith Youth Core, a renowned national organization that partners with various colleges and universities that works towards interfaith cooperation. “Interfaith is the interaction between people who orient around religion differently. Interfaith is not about the interactions between the religions, however, between the people who follow those traditions – how do they interact and work together, not merely live together”.
- OK. SO WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY “INTER” AND BY FAITH”?
In this term, Inter is for interaction and Faith is for the “personal orientation around ones belief or ethical system, rather than the system as a whole”. I.e. Worldview.
- WILL THIS OFFICE ONLY BE DEALING WITH “FAITH” ISSUES?
Great question! No. Since Interfaith intersects with many other issues and topics such as culture, identity, community, relationships, and a myriad of demographics that make up who we are, we will be engaging in conversation regarding a variety of topics.
- I DO NOT BELONG TO, CLAIM, OR HAVE A TRADITIONAL “FAITH”. AM I STILL ABLE TO JOIN THE CONVERSATION?
Absolutely! As stated in our mission and vision, our office is about building community and we need all community members at the table and able to freely speak to make that possible. Equity is important. Our goal is to help each other understand each other, so even though you may not belong to a normative faith or any of the sort, you as a person are needed and welcomed to our plethora of workshops, events, and activities.
- WHO IS THIS OFFICE FOR?
This office is for YOU! It is a resource for all students, staff, faculty, and community partners, and will also be available to community members during our open events!
- SO, WHAT EXACTLY WILL THIS OFFICE DO IN TERMS OF EVENTS?
We will be creating and implementing a variety of initiatives! Specifically, our Coffee &Conversation series, Interfaith Mixers, Breaking Bread Breaking Barriers Banquet, Building Bridges Workshops, and Lecture series. Our student advisory board will also be undertaking many social and service projects. Be on the look out!
- WHEN WAS THE OFFICE ESTABLISHED AND WHERE CAN I READ MORE ABOUT ITS ACCOMPLISHMENTS?
The office was inaugurated in late 2017 – you can read about it in this article – and acquired its founding Program Manager in December of 2018. Click any one of the links below to read more about the office, acknowledgements, and articles.
- HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
You can head over to our Get Involved Tab or Advisory board tab, enter your general information and select if you have a general interest, want to receive updates on events, and/or if you desire to be a part of the student advisory board or the staff/faculty advisory board!
- WHY SHOULD I GET INVOLVED OR CARE?
- You are a part of the University of Pittsburgh’s community and we need each other to help each other grow with each other!
- Learning how to interact, engage with, and understand people from various backgrounds is a skill needed not only in college, but life.
- We do not want you to graduate with a big brain and a small heart! Challenging your own stereotypes with real people who want to do the same can change your perspective.
- If we do not take the initiative to understand what people believe and their story, we will never truly appreciate them, and will always address the “what, when, where, who, and how” of things and never the “why”.
- Why Not?
- WHERE IS YOUR OFFICE LOCATED?
We are located in the William Pitt Union, eighth floor, room 824. Stop by anytime – we have candy and comfy seats!
- WHAT WEBSITE(S) CAN I SEARCH IF I HAVE ANY MORE QUESTIONS?
Take a look at some of the links below!
Interfaith Youthcore – www.ifcy.org