How to Respond When an Active Shooter is in Your Vicinity
Quickly determine the most reasonable way to protect your own life.
- RUN: Evacuate if a safe route is available.
- HIDE: If you cannot run, hide in an area out of view. Block entry, lock the door, stay behind solid objects. Turn off the lights and computers. Silence cell phones.
- FIGHT: As a last resort, and only if your life is in danger—FIGHT
Call 412-624-2121 or 911 when it is safe to do so.
How to respond when law enforcement arrives on the scene
- Remain calm and follow officers’ instructions
- Immediately raise hands and spread fingers
- Keep hands visible at all times
- Avoid making quick movements toward officers such as attempting to hold on to them for safety
- Avoid pointing, screaming, and/or yelling
- Do not stop to ask officers for help or direction when evacuating, just proceed in the direction from which officers are entering the premises
Information you should provide to law enforcement or dispatchers
- Location of the victims and the active shooter
- Number of shooters, if more than one
- Physical description of the shooter(s)
- Number and type of weapons held by the shooter(s)
- Number of potential victims at the location