Ride Share Safety
Check your app
Check the car
Check the driver
When using a drive sharing app, such as Lyft or Uber, there are steps you should take to make sure you arrive safely to your destination.
- Plan ahead – Make sure you understand the safety features of the app you are using. Know where you are going to be picked up and exactly where you are being dropped off.
- Request your ride inside – Remain inside in a safe space while you request and wait for your ride.
- Review the ride information – Review the car’s make, model, color, and license plate. Review the driver’s name and photo. If any of these items do match when your ride arrives, do not get into the vehicle.
- Share your trip details with friends – Let your friends know your trip details and when you plan to arrive. When possible, ride with friends.
- Ride in the backseat – When you ride alone, sit in the backseat. This gives you personal space away from the driver and you can exit on either side of the vehicle.
- Do not share personal information – Drivers never need to know your personal information. They can communicate with you in the app if necessary. Do not share if you are going to your home address.
- Follow your intuition – Follow your instincts if something feels off.
In the case of an emergency – Call 911