Off Campus Tips
- Keep your outside doors locked, even when you are home.
- Lock your windows.
- Look outside before opening the door. If you can’t see the area in front of the door, install a magnifying peephole (all you need is a drill and a screwdriver).
- Consider renter’s insurance.
- Never let strangers in the door. If it is a repair or service representative, call the property owner or company to ensure they are supposed to be there. Always insist on identification (a PA driver’s license is the best I.D.).
- Do not trust chain locks alone – they are not strong enough to keep out a determined intruder.
On Campus Tips
- Leave some lights on when you’re gone.
- Sign up to receive texted crime alerts here.
- Don’t advertise your class or work schedule.
- Don’t let strangers or non-residents (unless they’re your personal guest) into residence halls.