Common FAQs

Common FAQs

Have a question about student conduct policies and procedures? Check out our FAQ list below or reach out to a student conduct staff member at 412.648.7910.


What is the Student Code of Conduct, to whom does it apply, and how can I access it?

The Student Code of Conduct is a set of expectations by which all Pitt students are required to abide. It applies to all students, including undergraduates, graduates, full-time and part-time. The Student Code of Conduct provides information on behavioral expectations and outlines the process used to address Violations of these expectations. All students are expected to familiarize themselves with and are required to abide by the provisions of the current Code. Click here to access the Code.

I was involved in an incident of misconduct. What can I expect?

The Office of Student Conduct will reach out to schedule a Level I or disciplinary conference talk to you about what happened and, through that conversation, determine what, if any, violations of the Code of Conduct occurred. If it is determined that you are responsible for a violation, conduct process will begin.

What is the policy about incidents that occurred off campus?

The University of Pittsburgh expects students to conduct themselves in accordance with the law. Student behavior off the premises of the campus that may have violated any local, state, or federal law, or yields a complaint from others alleging law violations or student misconduct will be reviewed by the University.

Can I be held accountable to the Code of Conduct if I was found not guilty in court?

The student conduct process addresses your obligations to University of Pittsburgh and the Code of Conduct. Any legal process in the courts or with a criminal case relates to your separate obligations to state and federal law. Therefore, whether or not you are found guilty in court has no impact on the University’s conduct process.

I need to report an incident.

To report any incident that you believe may be a violation of the Student Code of Conduct. Please click here to complete a conduct referral. If this is an emergency, please contact University Police at 412-624-2121 or 911.  When a report is received, the Office of Student Conduct will evaluate the report and may be in touch with the complainant to describe next steps and/or to clarify or gather more information. Following that, the Office of Student Conduct will schedule a time to meet with the respondent; the formal or informal conduct process begins at that point.

I need a conduct record check. What should I do?

Please email the form/request to The form/request will be completed as soon as is practicable and emailed to the appropriate person(s). Please be sure to include your name, contact information, name of institution or agency that is requesting the clearance and the email or physical address where the form needs to be sent or click here to complete the request form.

I need a government disciplinary check. What should I do?

Please email your name, contact information and availability to A staff member will respond as soon as is practicable.

What other services are offered by the Office of Student Conduct?

Office of Student Conduct can help you access referrals to student services on and off campus, including counseling, sexual assault information and services, alcohol and drug education programs, mediation and conflict resolution. Please call the Office of Student Conduct to discuss how we can help connect you with what you need.