- Amnesty Decoders is an innovative platform for volunteers around the world to use their computers or phones to help our researchers sift through pictures, information and documents to expose human rights violations.
- App to Succeed is looking for volunteers to help develop video games to teach youth in need how to make good financial decisions.
- National Park Service is seeking volunteers to test, evaluate or develop elements of their online presence
- Right Here at Home is searching for volunteers to train others in technology to help overcome poverty.
- VocaliD is eyeing individuals to share their voice and help drive innovation in voice technology.
- American Cancer Society
- American Red Cross always has needs for volunteers to act as digital advocates. Volunteers can help generate donations to the Red Cross while shopping for themselves online or by setting up online fundraisers or by spreading awareness through social media.
- Crisis Text Line is a free 24/7 national crisis-intervention and counseling service conducted exclusively through SMS text. Prospective volunteers go through screening and lengthy self-paced training. Once completed, volunteer’s sign-up to take one four-hour shift each week for a year.
- Cyclone Center needs volunteers tolook at satellite images of storm and help researchers predict cyclone behavior.
- eBird is looking for volunteers to track birds.
- Project Implicit is seeking volunteers to help Harvard researchers learn the best ways to break down stereotypes by taking tests.
- Zooniverse is searching for volunteers to identify New York Wildlife, map our galaxy or assist researchers in many other ways.
- 7 Cups is searching for volunteers to be an online emotional support person.
- Be My Eyes is a free mobile app with one main goal: to make the world more accessible for blind and low-vision people. The app connects blind and low-vision individuals with sighted volunteers from all over the world through a live video call.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters
- Career Village is an online platform where students ask career questions that are answered by people working, or that have worked, in that field. All you need is a LinkedIn account to start helping students become better informed about the career decisions they are facing.
- Granny Cloud is looking for volunteers to provide learning and encouragement to children around the world via Skype and their website.
- Strive for College is searching for volunteers to help aspiring college students through the entire college admissions and financial aid application process. To become a Strive for College volunteer, you simply need to create a profile on Strive’s site, complete a background check ($40) and do a one-hour training before being connected with students interested in your support.
- Student Conservation Association
- Teach for America
- Trevor Project is an online, social networking community for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning (LGBTQ) youth ages 13-24, and their friends and allies. Online volunteers monitor the TrevorSpace site in an effort to maintain a safe online space for young LGBTQ people.
- Catholic Volunteer Network
- Feeding America
- Habitat for Humanity
- Humanity Road volunteers use the Internet and mobile communications technology to collect, verify and route information online during disasters.
- Nabuur is an online volunteering platform that links volunteers with local communities in Africa, Asia, and Latin America so they can learn about each other, share ideas and find solutions to local issues.
- Peace Corps
- Smithsonian Digital Volunteer is looking for volunteer to help make historical documents and biodiversity data more accessible.
- The National Map Corps (TNM Corps) asks citizen volunteers to collect data on structures and use it to add new features, remove obsolete points and correct data for The National Map database.
- United Nations is searching for volunteers to make a global difference. You can help with writing and editing, translation, technology services, research, and advocacy, to name a few, and there is a variety of short and longer-term opportunities.
- United Planet
- Ark of Hope for Children is searching for volunteers to be an Online Ambassador.
- Book Share is searching for online volunteers, to either scan books to be added to the collection or edit books that have been scanned.
- Project Gutenberg is looking for volunteers to proofread ebooks.
- Librivox is eyeing volunteers to record audiobooks.
- TED Translators are a global community of volunteers who subtitle TED Talks and enable the inspiring ideas in them to crisscross languages and borders.
- Translators Without Borders recruits volunteers who want to translate texts into different languages for NGOs and nonprofits.
Hands on Projects
- Binky Patrol is searching for individuals to sew emotional support blanket for those in need.
- Chemo Angels is pursuing volunteers to send a card, letter or note once a week to someone undergoing chemotherapy.
- Soldiers Angels Treats for Troops is looking for individuals to give well-deserved Treats for Troops.
- Warm Up America is seeking volunteers to crochet or knit afghan squares that will help build blankets for both babies and adults.
MISC. Online Volunteering Programs
- Catchafire uses their website to match professionals with nonprofits based on their skills, cause interest and time availability. You’ll find tons of skills-based volunteering opportunities, many of which can be completed virtually.
- Corporation for National & Community Service
- DoSomething.org is searching for volunteers online through one of our campaigns to help solve real-world problems. DoSomething members have used the internet to successfully urge Apple to diversify their emojis, change the dictionary definition of “Black/black”, and create the largest crowdsourced anti-bullying guide.
- Goodwill Industries Volunteer Online
- Volunteer Matchlists ways to support a broad range of causes, including education, the environment, homelessness and many more.
- Volunteering in Pennsylvania