Reservations Office Hours

Sunday Closed
Monday 9am – 5pm
Tuesday 9am – 5pm
Wednesday 9am – 5pm
Thursday 9am – 5pm
Friday 9am – 5pm
Saturday Closed

Set ups can be submitted through your EMS reservation or to or depending on the location of the program.


Reserving Space in the Student Unions


The Event Management System (EMS) is to be used for reserving rooms in the William Pitt Union (WPU), O’Hara Student Center (OSC), Campus Recreation facilities, and other designated academic buildings. The room reservation system provides an online means for reserving and viewing student organizations’ and Student Affairs’ room reservations across campus. Authorized users can submit requests for room reservations to be reviewed by William Pitt Union and O’Hara Student Center reservations staff.


To create an EMS account:

  • You must be an officer in a SORC recognized student organization or Pitt Oakland campus staff or faculty
  • View our online training module
  • Complete the quiz at the end of the tutorial
  • Send in your quiz results to
  • You must also apply for an account with EMS
  • Be sure to use your Pitt username (e.g. abc123, no needed) and current Pitt password. Alias usernames should not be used.
  • New users will be notified via e-mail when their account has been activated. Typically, accounts are activated within 2-4 business days but can take up to 1 week during peak times of the semester.

If your account is inactive or pending, DO NOT apply for another account! Email and we can re-activate your current account.


Student groups are eligible to have 2 members with EMS access. If you are an officer in multiple organizations, you can have access to reserve on behalf of more than one organization. Email with the student organization names and your positions within each club.


Once your account has been activated, you can begin reserving space at EMS is most user-friendly when using a computer rather than a mobile device and either Safari or Mozilla Firefox.


Need help navigating EMS? Further resources and helpful videos can be found on the student unions Youtube page or you can review the online training module at anytime.


To view the EMS Welcome Newsletter, click here


Looking for space not found in EMS? All SORC recognized student organizations and university departments are eligible to reserve space in other University buildings.


Reservation Timeline

Summer Requests
Official University Requests Pre-Confirmed Pre-Confirmed Pre-Confirmed
Division of Student Affairs & Formula Groups 2nd Monday in March 2nd Monday in September 1st Monday in March
SORC Recognized Student Organizations 2nd Monday in April 2nd Monday in October 2nd Monday in March
Academic or Administrative University Units 2nd Monday in May 1st Monday in November 2nd Monday in April
**Recreation and Athletic Space are on a different schedule than the chart above, click here to view when you can reserve a facility. Any questions pertaining to Campus Recreation space, please contact Marilyn Ross at


Reservation Booking Rules

Booking Rules
Multipurpose Rooms, CCLD 630, Outdoor Spaces & Nordy’s 21 days in advance
Meeting Rooms, Classrooms, Dance Studio, & WPU Information Tables 3 days in advance

Once your event is approved, please work with your designated William Pitt Union or O’Hara Student Center contact for any questions or concerns.

Administrative/Academic Departments within the WPU
Madison Yanosky (
Student Affairs Events in WPU
Katy Tufts (
O’Hara Student Center Events
John Hoehn (
All Technical Services for WPU & OSC
Mike Tulak (

Other helpful contact information:
EMS Activation and Troubleshooting
WPU 630 (CCLD)
Recreation and Athletic Space

Room Setups

Room set ups are due to William Pitt Union Reservations or O’Hara Student Center Information Desk no later than 2 weeks before an event. Set ups can be submitted online at or as well.

When requesting a room, be sure to include your personal set up and tear down time. Facilities reserved time is not for personal use and you will not have access to the room during this time.

Room Default Facilities Reserved Time
Multipurpose Rooms & Nordy’s 2 hours
Dining Rooms A & B 1 hour
Meeting Rooms 15 minutes
Room Set Up Types

Frequently Used Terms

Indoor Tables

Indoor tables on the lower level of the WPU (Schenley Café) available for marketing organizations and upcoming programs.

Indoor Tables

Outdoor Tables

Outdoor tables in front of the WPU available for marketing organizations and upcoming programs.

Multipurpose Room

Any room that the set up can be changed and adapted to fit your needs.
*Assembly Room, Kurtzman Room, Ballroom, Lower Lounge, Dining Room A & B, 548, OSC Ballroom & Dining Room

Meeting Room

Any room that must be used as found. Usually set lecture or conference style.*Kimbo Conference Room, 310, 527, 538, 539, 540, 542, 837, 918

Web Process Templates

The list of rooms you are eligible to reserve. The rooms are grouped together under templates which can be found under the Reservations tab once you are logged in. Student groups have different permissions than departments and can reserve more space on campus. For example, student groups can reserve University Classrooms in the evenings and weekends while departments are unable to do so.” Classrooms: “Student groups can request classrooms in the Cathedral of Learning and David Lawrence after 9pm on evenings and all day on weekends.

University Classrooms

Student groups can request classrooms in the Cathedral of Learning and David Lawrence after 9pm on evenings and weekends. Student groups are not permitted to rearrange or remove classroom furniture. All requests for audiovisual equipment are handled by CIDDE.

User Defined Fields

The questions asked to you in EMS in order to collect as much information about your event as possible.

Depending on the type of event space you are looking to reserve, below are some questions EMS will need to know:

  • Date of event
  • Event start and end time (this should include your personal set up and tear down time)
  • Advertised start and end times
  • Expected attendance
  • University/SORC account number
  • Description of event (as detailed as possible)
  • Will you be having non-Pitt speakers or guests?
  • Will you be having food/beverage?
  • If you are having food, would you like to compost your food waste?
  • Will anyone under the age of 18 be present?
  • Will there be sales or fundraising?
  • Is your event open to anyone or private?

For additional information regarding event planning, including potential costs, food forms, and other policies and procedures, click here.


General Questions

I am logged in but am unable to see any reservation options under the Reservations tab.

This could be a couple of different issues. First make sure you logged in using your Pitt username and not your Pitt email (e.g. abc123, no needed). If this did not fix the problem, then the next possibility applies if your account was just activated. If this is your case, please wait a few hours and try again. If neither of these solutions apply to you, contact or come to the Reservations Office on the Main Floor of the William Pitt Union, Monday through Friday 8:30AM – 5PM.

What do I do if my account is inactive?

Your account status is switched to “inactive” when you have not used it or made a reservation in the past semester. Send an email to asking for your account to be reactivated. You will receive an email confirmation within a few days when it has been reactivated.

Why is my reservation “tentative”?

There could be a couple of different reasons.  Make sure you read your “tentative” status email from the WPU or OSC reservations team which will explain why your status is not “confirmed”.  If you have questions, email or to receive a response within 24-48 hours.  Tentative requests usually have outstanding items that need to be addressed or turned in before being confirmed (fully executed contracts, events with minors’ paperwork, further event details required, meeting with reservations staff).

I am an officer in two clubs. How can I reserve space on behalf of both?

Send an email to Please include the clubs you are involved in and what positions you hold.

How many people can have EMS access for my student organization?

Two students per organization. Please let us know when officer transitioning is happening so we can make sure the appropriate students have access to reserve on behalf of the organization.

How do I update or change my reservation?

Please send any updates, changes, or cancellations to an EMS reservation to or as soon as possible.

How do I cancel my reservation?

You can cancel your event through EMS or email the Reservations Office at All cancellations should be made no later than 5 days before the program.


How do I know what room(s) to reserve that would meet my needs?

It is important to know what the purpose of your event is and your expected attendance. This will help you choose between our traditional room set ups based on their capacities.

How do I check if space is available?

​You can “Browse for Space” in the top left corner of EMS. To browse dates, click on the
arrows on the left-hand side of the screen. You can also “Filter” for the exact date you are looking for on the right-hand side. Make sure you also browse all building hours by click on the arrows next to where it states “12 Hours” on the right-hand side. EMS defaults to showing you 7AM – 6PM, but are open until 12AM each day!

How do I check a rooms’ set up capabilities and capacities?

See our WPU Max Capacities Guide

You can find this information by “Browsing for Space” under the “Browse” option in the upper left corner of EMS. If you click on a room in the list it will open a new box with details about that room. Within the box, click on the tab labeled “Set Up Types” to view set up types and their capacities in that space. You can also see photos and room diagrams. Empty room capacities can be found in the list under “Cap”. This information is helpful when it comes to choosing your expected attendance when reserving space. If you exceed the capacity or request a below the minimum capacity, the room will not pop up as an option. E.g. if you indicate having an expected attendance of 10, the Assembly Room will not pop up since its max. capacity is 500.

I requested a space, now what?

Within (time range), you will receive a confirmation email from a staff member in the WPU or OSC stating your next steps.  A room set up will be required and should be sent to or 2 weeks before an event.  Meeting rooms will be set as is. To see sample set ups, visit (room guide hyperlink) or stop by the WPU Reservations desk Monday through Friday 8:30am-5pm.

How do I schedule recurring meetings?

After you select the type of reservation you are trying to make under the reservations tab, you will be brought to a room search page, click “recurrence”. This will open up a new panel with information for you to complete. This panel allows you to select what kind of recurrence you want and how long you want it to last. Click “Apply Recurrence” when you have filled out the proper information, and complete the rest of your reservation.

How do I reserve banner space?

You can request a banner on our event reservation website, EMS. Once logged in, under the Reservations tab you should see an option for WPU Banner Request. Contact if you do not see this option.

To view banner dimensions, please visit Banners in the Quad can be reserved through Residence Life. Email Carly Ramer at to discuss this process.

How can I reserve an information table?

​WPU indoor and outdoor tables can be reserved in EMS through the WPU Table reservation template. EMS requires 48 hours’ notice in order to reserve a table. Residence Life tables in Towers Lobby and Sutherland Hall lobby can be reserved through the Residence Life Information Table on EMS and require 7 days advance notice.

How do I request technical services?

On EMS you can choose what audio/visual equipment you would like at your event. If you have already submitted your request, once it is confirmed, login to EMS and you can edit your reservation by clicking on “View My Requests”. To add technical services to a reservation, click on the event, then click on the green plus sign under Services.

Where do I submit my event contract or contract waiver for review?

The Student Organization Resource Center (SORC) on the 8th floor of the William Pitt Union can help student groups with contracting all types of services. Visit their office or the contract’s page of the SORC website at
Academic Departments and the Division of Student Affairs should refer to their department’s Dean for all contract inquiries.

Where do I submit my events with minors paperwork?

All certified student organizations, sponsoring events involving direct contact with minors must register the event with the Division of Student Affairs through the William Pitt Union or O’Hara Student Center Reservations Office. Direct contact is defined by law as care, guidance, supervision or control of minors, or routine interactions with minors.  Visit to complete the forms.

What are the three types of food forms for the unions?

1. Catering Exemption – Campus Catering is the approved caterer on campus and has the right to bid for your business. In the event you would like to pursue a company outside of the university, a Catering Exemption must be completed. To learn more about catering exemptions, visit
2. Donated Food (from Food Services) - The Department of Housing, Food Services, and Panther Central proudly donate Pepsi Products and food items to the University of Pittsburgh community. They attempt to support student programs and University events that are open to the University of Pittsburgh’s student body. To request donated food or services from University Food Services, visit
3. Snack Approval Form – if you are hosting a program with less than 100 people in the WPU or OSC and would like to bring in snack-like items, visit Homemade food and potlucks are prohibited. Pizza, chips, pretzels, appetizer trays (veggie, fruit, dips), and items from a bakery are permitted.

I am interested in composting at my event, now what?

When reserving space in EMS, you will be asked if you are interested in composting at your event.  If you mark yes, someone from the Student Office of Sustainability (SOOS) will contact you.  You can also read up on how to make your event Green Certified at 

EMS Errors

Why am I getting an error that states “Your request violates building hours”?

Unfortunately, you are requesting to have an event during a time when the building is closed. If you would like to discuss the possibilities of hosting an after hours or early morning event, please contact

I received an error message that states that “Not enough furniture is available to meet my request”, what do I do?

Please contact and we can check our inventory to see if there is enough to accommodate all programs that would be taking place at the same time as yours.