The SORC is able to assist in local travel arrangements and accommodations for student organizations and their guests to campus. The hotels and transportation agencies listed below have a contracted Pitt rate that can be used when travel accommodations are needed for a guest coming to campus. All accommodations should be arranged through the SORC Business Office.
Transportation (To/From Pittsburgh International Airport)
Regency Transportation Group
Wyndham Pittsburgh University Center
Hilton Garden Inn University Place
Hampton Inn Pittsburgh University/Medical Center
University Motorpool / Fleet Services
Student organizations are also eligible to use University-owned vehicles and charters for business purposes. Please refer to the Motorpool Vehicle Types and Charges when requesting for funds related to University vehicle rentals.
Charter Bus Request can be found here. A quote will be provided once your request is submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following criteria must be met to obtain approval for student use of a University vehicle:
- Must be enrolled at the University and/or be an active student with a valid Pitt ID.
- Must have a valid Driver’s License.
- Must be 21 years of age and have had a valid driver’s license for 2 years to drive a vehicle that seats 7 passengers or less.
- All drivers must complete a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Request for Driver Information and be subsequently approved to drive at least once a year. Information obtained from the DMV, including actions and violations, will be reviewed and may be used to disqualify individuals from renting a University vehicle.
- Must complete the Authorization for Student Organization Use of a University Vehicle at least 5 business days in advance for trips less than 250 miles one-way, or 10 business days in advance for trips over 250 miles one-way.
- Must provide a detailed itinerary that includes destination, estimated number of miles, and planned travel route with Authorization form. A Mapquest or GoogleMaps print out will suffice.
For trips over 250 miles one-way:
- Vehicle request must be submitted at least 10 business days in advance.
- Two approved drivers are required.
- Drivers must rotate every 3 hours.
- No more than 10 hours of driving can be completed during any one day.
- Driving between 11:00pm and 6:00am is prohibited.
- A detailed itinerary must be provided including stop and driver change locations.
- The organization advisor or substitute advisor (faculty or staff member, graduate student assistant, or contracted coach) must accompany the organization on the trip.**
**Note: All authorized advisors must complete an Vehicle Rental Advisors Acceptance Form prior to the trip. The individual authorizing the vehicle usage will be considered the responsible party. Exceptions to this requirement may be granted on a limited basis.
Students granted permission to use University vehicles must agree to the following rules and regulations:
- Use vehicles for official stated purpose only.
- Operate University vehicle in accordance with University rules and regulations.
- Observe all applicable traffic laws, ordinances and regulations.
- Use safe driving practices at all times.
- Use seat belts at all times.
- Driver assumes all responsibility for fines or traffic violations.
- No smoking in University vehicles.
- Do not permit unauthorized individuals to drive or ride in the vehicle.
- Ensure that all doors and windows are locked when vehicle is not in use.
- Inspect vehicle before leaving and after returning to the point of pick-up.
- Report any malfunctions to the University.
- Report any accidents to the University and the proper authorities.
Non-compliance with the above guidelines may result in disciplinary actions up to and including Judicial Board review and may also jeopardize future rental usage of University vehicles by the student organization.