Welcome from Pitt Residence Life
The entire Residence Life team welcomes you to the University of Pittsburgh. We have great events planned for the year and look forward to helping you get the most out of your Pitt experience.
Our ongoing goal is to make Pitt’s campus feel like your home away from home. In addition to helping provide a safe and comfortable environment in the residence halls, we’ll help you forge connections and create a sense of community. Our programming will support an engaged collegiate experience and help you consider new perspectives and ideas.
We look forward to a great year and the opportunity to help you create new memories during your time at Pitt!
Hail to Pitt!
To provide our students with the best residential experience in the world.
The Office of Residence Life at the University of Pittsburgh builds inclusive communities through personal relationships, experiential learning, and engaging programming. Our professional and student staff are committed to providing opportunities for residents to take ownership of their development, discover their purpose, and lead lives of significance.
- We value every individual within our communities and strive to help each one of them feel a sense of belonging at Pitt.
- We value the development of meaningful relationships where individuals can find strength and comfort by exploring and celebrating their similarities and differences.
- We value the intellectual and emotional growth of individuals as they discover who they are and how they can impact the world.
- We value building individual relationships to provide support, resources, and services to help our students succeed.
The Office of Residence Life staff have the following commitments that help guide our practice and operation. Our work is driven by an ethic of care, inclusivity, and empathy that we feel is paramount to our interactions with students in their growth and development to build an engaged community.
- We empower students to take ownership of their choices, successes, failures, and experiences while striving for success at Pitt and beyond.
- We work closely with campus and community partners to bring learning into the residence halls. Through these experiences, our students gain exposure to new concepts, ideas and backgrounds; and we encourage our students to explore all the resources that the University has to offer. By learning more about the communities and world around them, students discover more about themselves.
- We are preparing students to lead lives of significance by teaching interpersonal skills, encouraging diverse experiences, engaging our community, and embodying Panther Pride.
The Common spirit of what it means to be a Pitt Panther that thrives in each residence hall.
The University of Pittsburgh is committed to the advancement of learning and service to society. This is best accomplished in an atmosphere of mutual respect and civility, self-restraint, concern for others, and academic integrity. By choosing to join this community, I accept the obligation to live by these common values and commit myself to the following principles:
As a Pitt Student:
- I will embrace the concept of a civil community, which abhors violence, theft, and exploitation of others;
- I will commit myself to the pursuit of knowledge with personal integrity and academic honesty;
- I will respect the sanctity of the learning environment and avoid disruptive and deceitful behavior toward other members of the campus community;
- I will support a culture of diversity by respecting the rights of those who differ from myself;
- I will contribute to the development of a caring community where compassion for others and freedom of thought and expression are valued;
- I will honor, challenge and contribute to the scholarly heritage left by those who preceded me and work to leave this a better place for those who follow.
By endorsing these common principles, I accept a moral obligation to behave in ways that contribute to a civil campus environment and resolve to support this behavior in others. This commitment to civility is my promise to the University of Pittsburgh and its community of scholars.
The Office of Residence Life at the University of Pittsburgh has a strong commitment to acknowledging, advocating, celebrating, and educating all people who live and work in our residence halls. We are professionally and personally committed to creating a community that supports diverse perspectives, celebrates the rich diversity of people who live and work within our residence halls, and fosters an environment of continuous education.
We have created this Diversity Statement so that all students and staff may understand the importance of diversity in our residence halls, on campus, and in the world. We will not tolerate any form of behavior pertaining to racism, sexism, bigotry, harassment, intimidation, threats, or abuse, whether verbal or written, physical or psychological, direct or implied. We will not accept ignorance, humor, or substance use as an excuse for oppressive behavior.
We acknowledge that human differences come in many forms, including: race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, marital status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, disability, or status as a veteran. We recognize that the knowledge we gain from interacting with and learning from one another has both educational and personal value. Furthermore, by acknowledging the presence of inequalities and oppression and engaging in uncomfortable conversations, all members of our community experience an incomparable educational experience. These experiences are crucial for developing the requisite skills to thrive as a member of a pluralistic society and as a responsible global citizen.
We strive to create a learning environment that allows all people to advocate for and support underrepresented populations. We maintain a safe and friendly environment that embodies our ideals of cooperation and mutual respect by protecting the right of respectful expression and by confronting hateful or victimizing acts. We will be deliberate in educating our staff and students to respond proactively to such behavior.
We consider the cultural diversity at the University and in the city of Pittsburgh as one of our finest assets. We endeavor to celebrate all people by offering a wide variety of programs and activities that promote a high level of experiential learning. Encouraging students to embrace diversity is at the heart of our mission to provide a holistic education and to help our students become effective citizen leaders in our communities and in the world.
We provide opportunities for holistic education outside the classroom, in part, by prioritizing multicultural education. Through education, students will learn the skills necessary to promote a supportive and inclusive environment. Students will have the opportunity to engage in programs, activities, and discussions regarding current events, as well as social, political, intrapersonal, and interpersonal conflicts. Within the residence halls, multiculturalism is embedded in our commitment to create the best collegiate experience in the world.