Q: When/how will my son or daughter receive a fall term bill? When will it be due?

The University of Pittsburgh has an electronic billing process (eBill); there are no paper bills. eBills are posted in PittPAY once each month, generally just after the due date (which is always the 17th of each month). Students must be registered for classes before the date eBills are posted to be included in that month's billing, or have an unpaid balance on the student account.

  • Students who register during May, June or July PittStart sessions prior to the mid-July bill date will have an eBill posted in PittPAY in mid-July, due August 17th.
  • Students registering after the July bill date but prior to the August bill date will be billed August 24th, due September 17th.
  • Students registering after the August 18th bill date will be billed September 22nd, due October 17th.

For your convenience, the verified eBill and due date schedules for every term are posted on the Message Board in PittPAY (which is the first screen you see when you log into PittPAY). Students receive an email to their Pitt email account each time a new eBill is posted in PittPAY. Click here for additional information about eBills, PittPAY, due dates, the Optional Payment Plan, Direct Deposit and more!

Q: When is Family Weekend?

Family Weekend is generally announced in the spring, after the fall football schedule has been finalized.  Please monitor this website or go to www.familyweekend.pitt.edu for the most up-to-date information.

Q: What kinds of internship opportunities are available at Pitt?

Pitt offers many internship and cooperative education programs with a variety of companies inside and outside of the greater Pittsburgh area. The Career Development Placement Assistance Office (CDPA) offers a guaranteed internship program and helps students find a suitable match with their interests. Advisors are a great place to start discussing your options. Many of these positions will even compensate student participants for their time—a great way to supplement college expenses!  Students

Return to top of page.

Q: What is the University Honors College like?

The University of Pittsburgh’s Honors College  is unlike many typical university honors programs. Here at Pitt there is no such thing as membership in the Honors College, and all undergraduate students are eligible to take advantage of the opportunities provided by the Honors College.  Honors courses are more challenging and more demanding than regular courses, and students do more work in them than in regular courses, but honors courses also tend to be more stimulating and provide more information than do regular courses.  So, should a student take an honors course?  The answer clearly depends on which student are you asking, and which course, and what other courses and activities are scheduled for that semester, and a variety of other considerations.  In other words, students have to decide for themselves whether to take honors courses, which ones, and when.  If you are interested in participating in the Honors College, please talk to your advisor or contact any of the Honors College advisors (http://www.honorscollege.pitt.edu/advising/advising-staff).

Q: Does Pitt have opportunities for undergraduate research?

Pitt is well known nationally for its undergraduate research programs Students interested in seeking research as an undergraduate will have no problem finding a project, at any time of the year, that fits their interests. You can even get involved as early as your freshman year. With the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center combined with tremendous variety of companies in the area, the possibilities are endless. Many undergraduate research opportunities are initiated merely by talking to professors and showing interest in their field. Many professors are more than happy to accept a student volunteer in their research lab which can often lead to a paid position.

Q: What Competitive Edge Communities?

Competitive Edge Communities (CEC) are residence halls where living and learning experiences extend beyond the walls of the traditional classroom.  Special programmatic efforts with campus and academic departments tie in directly with the students’ major or academic interest.   CEC includes housing opportunities for freshman and upper class students in the areas of business, communications, engineering, the arts, health sciences, global village, healthy living, honors, leadership, nursing, service to others, pre-law, social sciences, entrepreneurship and more!  Selection into a CEC is done through an application process.  Students who are chosen to live in a CEC will bypass the normal housing lottery process.  For details, please go to http://studentaffairs.pitt.edu/reslife/cec

Q: How easy is it to get home during the semester and over breaks?

There are many ways to travel home. First, the Pitt campus is very close to downtown, so the Amtrak Train Station and the Greyhound and Megabus stations are easily accessible. The Pittsburgh International Airport is about a 45-minute free bus ride away with a Pitt ID. If your family lives in the greater Pittsburgh area, remember that students can ride the PAT public transportation system free of charge with a valid Pitt ID.

For the Thanksgiving, winter and spring recesses, the University of Pittsburgh offers the Buses Home for the Holidays option to select destinations in Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland and Washington, D.C.  See the Buses Home for the Holidays webpage for more information.

Students can check the campus bulletin boards for informal travel information, or post their own request on their class Facebook group or the University of Pittsburgh RideShare Facebook group. These are both closed groups, for students-only.

Q: What do we do if my child has a learning disability?

Once you have been admitted to the University of Pittsburgh, follow these steps to register with Disability Resources and Services:

  • Submit documentation of your disability. You may deliver it in person to 140 William Pitt Union, fax it (412-624-3346) or mail it to the DRS Office at:

    Disability Resources and Services
    140 William Pitt Union
    University of Pittsburgh
    Pittsburgh, PA 15260

    Note: If you submitted disability documentation as part of your application for admission to the University of Pittsburgh, please check to make sure Disability Resources and Services has received a copy for your file.

  • Set up an appointment with the appropriate disability specialist for an initial review of documentation. At this meeting, you will be able to discuss your documentation, needs and educational goals. The disability specialist will then forward your documentation for review by the Documentation Review Board. Based upon the Documentation Review Board's interpretation of the documentation, the disability specialist will consult with you regarding appropriate academic adjustments.
  • Meet regularly with the disability specialist to review the effectiveness of services received, to update information or to discuss changes in service.

Return to top of page.

Q: What do I say to my son or daughter who has experienced a traumatic event (e.g., unexpected death of a loved one, physical assault, mugging, etc.)?

Listen to your child and normalize the feelings expressed—shock, fear, anxiety, confusion, anger, etc. Contact the Counseling Center (412-648-7930) for information regarding medical attention, if necessary, and other resources pertaining to police assistance, reporting procedures, and safety.
Encourage your child to call the Counseling Center and talk with a counselor. Counseling will help your child deal with the feelings that are interfering with daily functioning.

Q: I want to make a counseling appointment for my child but was told that I could not. Why not?

We require all students to make their own appointments. Students who make their own appointments are already beginning the first steps towards a positive therapeutic relationship by demonstrating their readiness to engage in therapy.

Q: I’ve been trying to encourage my child to make a counseling appointment but he/she doesn't’ want to go. How can I encourage him/her to get the needed help?

After listening to your adult child’s thoughts and feelings in a sensitive, non judgmental way, you can instill hope by helping them to realize that there are options for help, and that things will not always appear so difficult. Point out that help is available and that you believe that using resources like counseling is a sign of strength and maturity, rather than a sign of weakness or failure. Give information about the counseling service and prepare them for what to expect. If a student is simply not ready to use professional counseling services, you can suggest other resources like residence life staff, chaplains, friends or other trusted adults as a first step in addressing concerns. You can always consult with a Counseling Center professional about your specific concerns in wanting your child to see a counselor.

Return to top of page