Panther Connect Retreats
Saturday, August 19 – Sunday, August 20
2017 REGISTRATION IS OPEN
Click On This Link & “Start a New Registration”
These retreats are designed to provide an opportunity for new students to connect with campus, connect with one another and connect to their passion prior to the University of Pittsburgh’s orientation week.
- New undergraduate international students are eligible and welcome to register!
- Panther Connect Retreats are for University of Pittsburgh – Oakland students only.
Panther Connect Retreat registration is open! CLICK ON THIS LINK & "START A NEW REGISTRATION"
$125, which includes all lodging, meals, transportation and activities. (Financial assistance is available.)
FYE provides grants to assist with the registration fee to help eligible students who are experiencing a financial hardship. In order to be considered for assistance, you must be eligible for the Federal Pell Grant for academic year 2017-18. Eligible students will have the opportunity to request assistance during the registration process.
Participating students who live in an on-campus residence hall will be able to move in Saturday, August 19th beginning at 8:30 a.m. until 2:00 p.m. Unfortunately, no exceptions can be made for a Friday move-in.
At 2:30pm, a Parent and Family welcome will be held in the William Pitt Union (WPU) Ballroom. Students are welcome to attend! Student check-in will be open starting at 2:00pm outside of the WPU Ballroom.
The opening session will take place in the William Pitt Union at 3:00 p.m. on August 19th and is for students only! This event is mandatory and will allow participants to meet up with other students attending their retreat. Buses will depart at 4:30 p.m. for the Panther Connect retreat sites.
Retreat activities take place from Saturday, August 19th at 3:00 p.m. until Sunday, August 20th at 6:00 p.m. Students will be able to participate in PittStart and other Orientation-related activities on Monday, August 21st. Detailed retreat schedules will be shared with registrants in late July as well as a list of what to pack for the program.
All retreat participants will stay off-campus on Saturday, August 19th at one of the following locations:
- YMCA Camp Kon-O-Kwee Spencer, Fombell, PA
- Camp Guyasuta, Sharpsburg, PA
- Laurelville Mennonite Church Center, Mt. Pleasant, PA.
Arts & Culture
Do you love art? Have a passion for knowledge? Get the scoop on Pittsburgh’s art scene.
- Enjoy private tours of Randyland and Bicycle Heaven, two Pittsburgh local museums
- Participate in a drum circle led by Jim Donovan, leader of the band Sun King Warriors and former member of the band Rusted Root
- Challenge yourself through self-exploration and creativity at Pitt's Center for Creativity
- Connect with Pitt Arts staff and other students who share your passion for arts and culture
Leadership (SOLD OUT)
Advance your understanding of leadership by learning about your leadership style and practicing new skills.
- Practice personal and group leadership through outdoor activities and adventure courses
- Connect with current Pitt students who share your passion for leadership and facilitate Pitt’s Emerging Leaders program
- Hear about leadership opportunities and meet staff from the Office of Cross Cultural and Leadership Development
Service (SOLD OUT)
Participate in hands-on service learning while exploring and learning about the Pittsburgh region and working to improve our community.
- Learn about community service involvement by working side by side with the Office of PittServes and their student staff, the Student Civic Engagement Council
- Participate in community service in Millvale, a nearby Pittsburgh neighborhood
- Engage with a local community organizations
- Give back to your retreat site by completing a service project at Camp Kon O Kwee
Sports and Rec (SOLD OUT)
Explore the “City of Bridges” by land and river to witness all that this picturesque city has to offer the sports enthusiast.
- Enjoy VIP tours of campus fitness and recreation facilities including the new Pitt Sports Dome
- Connect with other students who share your passion for sports, recreation, and being active while completing an adventure course
- Kayak the Point (where all three rivers meet) and take in the sites of PNC Park and Heinz Field
- Take in all the sites of the city as you bike around the “Burgh” on a guided tour
Transfer Student Retreat
The Panther Connect Transfer Retreat is a dynamic, student-centered experience designed to connect you with other transfer students and learn more about Pitt’s campus culture and traditions. We are excited that you have chosen to continue your educational journey at Pitt.
- Develop a diverse social network with over 50 transfer students and current upper-class student leaders
- Participate in outdoor recreation activities centered on teamwork, strategy, and leadership
- Learn more about navigating Pitt’s academic environment and getting involved on campus
- Take a behind the scenes tour of “Cathy”, Pitt’s Cathedral of Learning, which will include a trip to the outlook on the top floor