Outside the Classroom
Gain a competitive edge with employers and graduate schools by getting involved during your time at Pitt. Check out the campus resources below, or speak with your Career Consultant about increasing your involvement.
As a college student, 80% of your time will be spent outside of the classroom. The OCC provides structure and purpose to your free time, allowing you to maximize your Pitt experience and position yourself for future success.
The University of Pittsburgh guarantees experiential learning opportunities to students who complete the Internship Prep Program (IPP). Learn how to get an advantage over your competition by taking advantage of the IPP!
PittServes aims to enhance your personal growth and development by providing meaningful opportunities for service and reflection. By engaging with PittServes, you’ll cultivate relationships within our greater community, complement your classroom learning experience, and lay the foundation for a lifelong commitment to service.
Research at Pitt
- Pitt people beat polio, pioneered TV and heavier-than-air flight, and turned Pittsburgh into the world’s organ-transplantation capital, among other breakthroughs
- Pitt receives $760M in federally funded research annually
- Pitt Ranks:
- Top 20% in research; Top 10% in citations
- 30th on the world’s 100 most innovative universities in 2015 based on criteria as research output and patent filings
- 22nd in the world, 14th nationally, and 7th among U.S. public universities for the quality and quantity of its scholarly publications
- 5th among U.S. medical schools in NIH funding
- 1st among NIMH funding
- 7th in federally financed R&D funding
- Explore a possible career path; Become more familiar with a topic of interest
- Build relationships with valuable faculty and staff in a field
- Prepare you for thesis research, graduate school, employment, etc.
- Incorporate classroom knowledge into a work environment
- Learn new methodological and technical skills
- Create knowledge, not just consume it