All full-time and part-time, undergraduate and graduate students have the opportunity to receive a FREE wellness consultation from a certified personal trainer. Students are encouraged to return within 3 months of their initial assessment to measure progress toward expressed fitness goals.
REGISTRATION PROCESS FOR WELLNESS CONSULTATIONS
1. SUBMIT A WELLNESS CONSULTATION REQUEST
2. SCHEDULE YOUR APPOINTMENT
Within two weeks of submitting a consultation request, you will be contacted by a personal trainer to schedule your assessment. There are several personal trainers on staff with availability covering Sunday through Saturday. Once your request is received appointments are scheduled by phone call only. When your appointment is scheduled you will receive an email confirmation through your Pitt account. Feel free to ask any up front questions about the consultation at this time, or see our Frequently Asked Questions page.
3. PARTICIPATE IN THE ASSESSMENT
All wellness consultations take place at the Baierl Student Recreation Center, located on the second floor of the Petersen Events Center. Your trainer will be on site at the security guards desk to lead you to the testing area.
- PRIOR TO THE ASSESSMENT
- Dress in comfortable exercise wear (t-shirts, shorts, sneakers)
- Avoid exercise or strenuous physical activity the day of the consultation
- Avoid food, tobacco, alcohol and caffeine at least 3 hours before the consultation
- Drink plenty of water over the 24 hour period prior, to ensure proper hydration
- MEASUREMENTS TAKEN
- Height and Weight
- Heart Rate and Blood Pressure
- Body Composition (body mass index, waist measurement, body fat via b.i.a.)
- Flexibility (sit and reach)
- Muscular Strength and Endurance (push-ups and curl-ups)
- Cardio-respiratory Fitness (step test or 12-minute run test)
4. FOLLOW-UP / PERSONAL TRAINING
After a review of your assessment results, you will have the option to purchase personal training sessions. To learn more about this service, visit our personal training page.
RESCHEDULING & CANCELLATIONS
If you are running late or need to cancel last minute, attempt to contact your personal trainer directly via email or phone, or call the Campus Recreation Program Assistant Jen O’Neil at 412-648-8210 to notify your trainer. You can also cancel your consultation in advance through your Pitt account calendar or by emailing PTrain@pitt.edu. Please note, if you cancel your appointment more than two times you must wait until the following semester to receive the free wellness consultation.